Array
    Status
    Stanstead qc
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4D55-T

86 ranger diesel glow plug issue

Alright. My truck has developed an issue. First i had a problem with a battery that didnt hold charge and a fried alternator. Changed both of those, went to start it and found out that the glowplugs werent turning on. Usually i get a very loud click a bit of silence then click to let me know its ready to start. But now it just takes alot of time to finally kick over. Im gonna test the glow plugs when i get back home but i feel this is a relay problem. Can someone give me some advice as to what to check and where to look?

Array
    Status
    College Station, TX
    Vehicle

1984 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4D55-T
    If you're still running the factory timer setup I think most long term owners would recommend you update and build your own switch relay set up that you can control the duration of power supplied to the glowplugs. There's been many a discussion on the topic in the forum.

Array
    Status
    Port Angeles, WA
    Vehicle

1983 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

4D56-T
    It could be failed glow plugs or relays, but most the time it's the glow plug module located to the right of the passenger footwell. I'm told they can be opened, and if you're semi electronics savvy you can search for popped caps or cooked resistors and possibly repair it, but most people just bypass it and wire a relay straight to the glow plugs. This works for a while but the factory glow plugs run on 6V, so they can cook themselves to death after a while if you're running straight 12V. I found NGK Y-115T1 glow plugs to be identical to factory, but are instead 12V. Unfortunately I've only found them oversees, so shipping takes a while.

For my setup, I used a motorcycle starting relay (https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1), really any high current relay will do. I also wired in an adjustable 12v "gun lock timer", (http://sirennet.com/store/product/sa...gun-lock-timer). Its just a 12v timer that lets you adjust 6-40 seconds of ON time. They're used with gun locks in law enforcement vehicles. The officer presses a button and it temporary unlocks their weapon holder for the set amount of time. I have mine set at 30 seconds. It stays on long enough to let the vehicle warm up adequately. I highly recommend one of these as I've forgotten and left my glow plugs switched on MULTIPLE times and it's always a pain. I've ruined sets of glow plugs and certainly shortened my battery life. I also highly recommend wiring the factory glow plug indicator light (in the center of the dash), to the hot side of the relay, so you know when they're on.

hth

Array
    Status
    Inwood WV
    Vehicle

1991 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

4D56-T
    i run NGK 6628, Y107v. They are 10.5v, i have them wired through 2 relays to a push button.
    I bought 12 at the time total. I am still on the first set after 1.5yr no problems.

Soon as i stop being cheap/lazy i plan to order a glow plug controller for a 85-92 chevy 6.2/6.5. The relay mounts on firewall, has several pins that come off. Ignition power, temp sensor, ON light.
    It cycles on and off a duration of i think 10 seconds, until the coolant reaches a certain temp

Array
    Status
    College Station, TX
    Vehicle

1984 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4D55-T
    Mine is a Ford Powerstroke relay, as there are plentiful, and mine is a push button. I give it a 3 second mental countdown and it fires right up. When it gets really cold (0 degrees F and below) It takes 2-3 attempts but it always fires up. If you have a block heater that will help both your battery and glow plugs not have to work as hard.
    As you can see though, there's more than one way to skin a cat. Do what works best for you and what makes sense.

Array
    Status
    Alberta canada
    Vehicle

1991 Mitsubishi Pajero
    Engine

4D56-T
    The relays are on the inner fender driver side. one is the 'after glow' using the dropping resistor the other is the full 12v. there's a squareish dropping resistor right up front ahead of the wheel well. the relay that connects to that would be the dropped voltage one. Jumper the solenoid with a wire and listen for the click. if it's bad solenoid don't bother with the expense of the replacement part. get a cheap one. the 6.5v plugs in the quick glow mitsubishi system which these seem to be in the ford (it uses the mitsubishi relays so prolly the mitsu contorller) use the full 12v just for short periods depending on coolant temp and then switch to the other after. Currently in my delica I have the momentary on-off switch with a 3 sec. on, 3 sec. off regime, repeating more in colder weather to build more heat. I do not burn the low V plugs doing this. Take one out and hook it up and see how it behaves. YOu'll see they really do glow quickly. if they are burned probably do go for 11 or 12v ones