Thread: 2nd-gen Pajero/Montero rear ends?

Array
    Status
    British Columbia
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B

Question 2nd-gen Pajero/Montero rear ends?

I've been poking around trying to find a solid answer on whether or not a 2nd-gen Montero, or in this case Pajero, rear end will bolt into a 1st-gen Ram-50. I've found a wrecker with 3 JDM Pajeros, 1 SWB and 2 LWB with 4-cylinder turbo diesels in them. I don't know if they have lsd's or rear disks yet, but I'd like to find out if they fit or not before going out to look at them because it's a bit of a trip to get there.

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    I've had a look at Shogun rears on google images. Now I am a little, well, 'adventurous' and would go out on a limb. I think the rear axle could work but it will need to have all the mounts cut off it as it is designed for trailing arm and spring suspension. The pinion isn't centred the same as the ram but it shouldn't make that much difference with alignment. But the gear ratios are pretty crazy - from 4.636 to 4.9 depending on year and transmission option. I don't know if they are the same or close to the ram in overall track width. Also you will need to factor in e-brake cable ends as well (they will probably be different). This seems like a lot of work but I am not one to block someone's groove. A Gen 2 rear will bolt up and you'll get LSD and a 4.2 ratio centre (you won't get rear discs but the parts for the brakes will be easier to source), once again you'll need to swap e-brake cables.

Array
    Status
    British Columbia
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Thanks for the quick response and extra info! Given those ratios I might see if I can track down one of those Power Brute LSDs or something.

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    Look for the thread from Totron - he just did a Pajero swap on a first gen down under.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Thought I'd better ask - is your truck classed as a Gen 1 or Gen 2? My Gen 2 reference was to Gen 2 trucks and not Montero/Pajero/Shogun etc.

Array
    Status
    British Columbia
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Gen 1 truck, Gen 2 Pajero.

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    http://www.mightyram50.net/vbulletin...ll=1#post59168

Don't let the Gen 2 tub tray throw you off guard with this post, it's a Gen 1 with a Gen 2 tub tray on it. This is going on my to do list

Array
    Status
    New Zealand
    Vehicle

1981 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

Other
    To clarify. The 2nd gen diff is from a 2nd gen l200/mighty max. I haven't measured up any pajero ones.
    you could probably take the diff head out of any Mitsubishi rear end and plop it in your housing tho