Status
    Plant City, Florida
    Vehicle

1992 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B

New to MightyRam

Hello!

My story is a long convoluted path to my Mighty Max.

I joined the site a few weeks back as I was researching the Mitsubishi Mighty Max / Dodge D50. I had been looking for a few months on replacing my old worn out 2005 Ford Escape with 220,000 miles on it. I am more familiar with Toyotas, my brother had a bunch of straight axle Toyotas when I was growing up, not so familiar with Mitsubishi trucks.

Toyota was out of the question as they're fetching high prices for decent condition where I'm located at. Not a fan of the look of Nissan, unless it's the old Datsuns. Again decent ones fetch a good price. So I started exploring Mitsubishi and Mazda.

I had been scouring Craigslist for something small with little to no electronics as possible. I had found a few Mighty Max and Ram 50 trucks on Craigslist but they were abused and beat up. One I did find was within my price range but it had a sun roof, a deal killer for me in Florida. I worry about rust and leaks during the rainy summer season and I've had bad luck from previous vehicles with a sun roof. ( It's still on Craigslist in Orlando Florida as I write this, silver, manual with a sunroof, 1988 136,000 miles $2999) It's been on there for a while, so you may be able to negotiate a little on price, but it is clean looking.

I contemplated a Mazda B2000, B2200 and B2600i. I found a few but again abused, neglected, hail damage and such were deal killers. The look was growing on me, extended cabs even more so for their boxy look and practicality.

I leaned more towards the Mighty Max single cab than all others though, even over the Ram 50. I did find a nice clean B2600i in Zephyrhills Florida on Craigslist. Again within my price range, 1990, low miles ( 133,000 ) but it was single cab though not a deal breaker.

Then I decided tp start looking on Offer Up and Facebook Marketplace. I found a nice Ram 50 in Tampa Florida, 1990 white, single cab, 5 speed 150,000 for $1200. I messaged the owner and we were communicating for a few days about setting up a time to meet so I could look at the truck. It's in great condition, I was really eager to see it, as it was well below what I was willing to spend and have some money left over for some maintenance. Then the owner went cold on me for a few days not responding to setting up a time to meet.

So I went looking on Facebook Marketplace and I found one 45 minutes away. I came across a 1987, recently repainted, tonneau cover, single cab with 133,000 miles on it. Also well below what I was willing to spend on a truck. I immediately contacted the owner and set up an appointment to see it the next day.

The only con I have against the truck was that it was automatic, not totally a deal breaker for me but I prefer stick on such a small engine for accelerating to merge on the highway. Speed isn't an issue just some low end power for taking off. ( come to think of it the other cons, missing the AC compressor and no power steering ) I can get used to both, roll down the windows and no power steering will have to learn as I become more familiar with it.

We came to a reasonable price, $1500. The dash is near mint, one small flaw. The seat will need to be reupholstered and I'm not too keen on the door speaker set up and out of place after market beige arm rests installed. It was how the seller acquired it. He had it repainted and went through the truck to get it running properly.

He had told me a lot of people called about the truck but I was the only one to actually show up and look at it. I can honestly say it brings back memories of riding in the old 80's Toyotas. Simple, spartan and carbed.

As I returned home my brother in law who went with me to get the truck as asking me why I was only driving 45 mph on the way home. I told him I nearly had the accelerator to the floor and it just took it's time getting to 55.

Even funnier was that the owner of the Dodge Ram 50 contacted a few hours after I bought the Mighty Max, wanting to set up a time to meet. He gave me his address and he was about 15 minutes from me, not where he posted on Offer Up.

Things to do:

1: I'll have to check into possibly new rear shocks, or maybe I'm spoiled?
    2: The brakes leave a bit to adjust for stopping. ( Does it have drum brakes? )
    3: Adjust the carb, it has a Weber carb, sometimes cold starts. I have to feather the gas a bit, but again traits of a carb.
    4: Look to reupholster the seat and doors.
    5: Maybe later finding an AC compressor.
    6: Power steering? I can get used to the steering but I was curious if I could use a power steering setup from another Mitsubishi model?

It has Hummer rims on it, I think H3 rims. Doesn't look bad ... but I dunno.

I'll post some pics once I figure out how to do it. Over all I'm very happy with the truck, even if only owning it for less than a day. Lots of potential to tinker with and learn.

I'd love to hear back from anyone in regards to suggestions to help prolong the life of the vehicle. Anyone in the Tampa, Lakeland, Orlando area let me know. I'd like to maybe meet up and get your honest opinion of the truck.

Sorry this was so long, caffeine and sleep deprivation. Before I sign off, I know of a nice 1986 Ram 50 in the Atlanta area if anyone is looking? I took a screen shot of the Craigslist ad before it expired. Miles weren't listed and it's an automatic.

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Hi and welcome to mightyram. First up is the mandatory check list for those who are new to these trucks - http://www.mightyram50.net/vbulletin...and-do-it-ASAP. If you're only getting 45 mph at cruising it either needs the carb looked at and/or a good tune up (the Weber tends to make the engine more sensitive to tuning and has it's own traits) . Going 'by the book' doesn't always get the best out of these engines and I would recommend a big engine flush as well (no doubt it probably has never been done). Big wheels on these trucks kills the acceleration and the auto won't help much with take off. The Mighty Max is a light truck and doesn't really need power steering but A/C is always good for when summer is kicking in (MM's/ram50's have factory power steering as an option). You can swap the front calipers for twin pistons from other Mitsubishis (Montero Sport) There are a number of cross compatible parts that will work with the Mighty Max.

Array
    Status
    Maurertown, Virginia
    Vehicle

1990 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64
    Welcome Gino ~

Yes, the rear brakes are drum.

Is that Ralph Wiggum in your avatar ?
    The greatest gift you have to give to the world is that of your own self~transformation.

Array
    Status
    Plant City, Florida
    Vehicle

Engine

G63B
    Geezer101, yes I had seen that thread. I book marked that thread to save for reference. I plan on doing a tune up and changing a lot of the fluids. The person I bought it from is an ASE certified mechanic, I'll contact him on what fluids he changed out. The Hummer rims on the truck aren't huge, but probably look a little bigger than stock.

Royster, Yes Ralph Wiggum is my avatar.

Array
    Status
    Plant City, Florida
    Vehicle

Engine

G63B
    Geezer101, Thanks for letting me know about what is compatible with the Mighty Max. I'm looking into finding the nearest salvage yards so scour so I can look some parts to pull for the interior. I was curious about brake upgrades and maybe some interior trim bits.