Thread: Egr elimination?

Array
    Status
    Harpers Ferry, WV
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50

Egr elimination?

Doing some work on my Ram 50. Getting rid of all the junk that doesnt need to be there. Going with a weber and pacesetter headers.

My question is this. Can I eliminate the EGR valve entirely? If so how do I go about it. What passages and lines need to go where or what ones need to be capped.

Seth

Array
    Status
    Payette, ID
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G64
    Um, well, I don't suggest this, but I ripped all that BS out, I had no idea what I was doing, but I took it all out, and in the end, I actually did it right. Anyway, Yes the whole EGR system can be taken out, I believe when you buy a Weber kit, it comes with a EGR blockoff, but if you are going with a header, you won't need the blockoff, EGR stands for Exhaust Gas Recirculation, really, all it does is it opens a valve on the exhaust and the exhaust blows back into the intake, I guess it reduces emissions, Also if you have an EGR, or Check engine light on, I believe in an 86 you can turn it off, or take the bulb out, it is NOT computer controlled, it is mileage dependent. Look at some of my pics of my 87, you will notice the absence of any and all vacuum controlled systems and the lack of wiring on the passenger side, due to the removal of the emissions computer. I cant really take any new pics, as my truck has no engine in it.

Wikipedia link EGR System

My pictures Abeemanators Album

Array
    Status
    Columbus, OH
    Vehicle

1992 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

Other
    Same thing here, I eliminated the vacuum lines, and used a block off plate between the valve and the intake. all the passages were eliminated during the head and intake re-model.

You can see the fittings and passages in the FI intake

Here's the EGR Blocked off in the resultant Intake

all the vacuum port on the Throttle Body are capped off.

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    On a 2.6, just unbolt the egr valve and put a plate with a seal over the port. Look on ebay in the starion or conquest listings for ready made covers with logos or plain.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    el paso, TX
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    so did u ever do the egr elimination, because im doing it on my lil truck until i swap the motors, any do's or dont ?

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    Mine currently has the EGR in place, but it is plumbed so that there is no vacuum to operate it, yet doesn't look like it's defeated; I have to go through emissions testing including a visual inspection. I do have the blockoff plate, and will install it on the Conquest motor I am building for Geronimo now.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    el paso, TX
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    any advise on how to run the vaccums without the egr ?