Array
    Status
    Port Angeles, WA
    Vehicle

1983 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

4D56-T

Lightweight Crank Pulley Opinions

I have a 4D56 swapped in my truck and I'm considering purchasing a lightweight crank pulley (https://www.ebay.com/itm/DD-Lightwei...tZ7xSc&vxp=mtr)

Anybody have any opinions? I'm kind of interested in the lower rotating mass, but the main reason is to change my belt style to a multi groove rather than dual V-belts (I need a groove belt for a separate project).

Are there any disadvantages to a lighter crank pulley?

I also don't know how I'm supposed to torque it on there without holes for a crank pulley holder.... hmmmm....

s-l1600.jpg

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Any rotating mass that relates to the belt drive system requires energy to to make it turn. The heavier the mass, the more parasitic loss of energy. Less mass = increased throttle response. I would also rig up an electric thermo fan. The mechanically driven thing is heavy and swallows up a fair bit of energy. Whatever you can do to shed weight from the drive system is a good thing.

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    be sure it comes with a sleeve for the crank pulley. These pulleys usually are made of aluminum, and the seal will wear a groove in the pulley quickly and cause a leak without the sleeve.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    Port Angeles, WA
    Vehicle

1983 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

4D56-T
    Quote Originally Posted by pennyman1 View Post
    be sure it comes with a sleeve for the crank pulley. These pulleys usually are made of aluminum, and the seal will wear a groove in the pulley quickly and cause a leak without the sleeve.
    I think I'm a little confused. Are you referring to a need for a steel sleeve on the inside diameter of the pulley? What exactly wears?
    I have this exploded image of the 4d56 pulleys and I'm not sure where the crank pulley contacts any seals. Then again I haven't had my crank pulley off in a while and can barely remember how the crankshaft, timing belt, and balance belt pulleys stack on the crank shaft.

Array
    Status
    Port Angeles, WA
    Vehicle

1983 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

4D56-T
    Image didn't post for some reason... Attempt #2

BU5j13Y.jpg

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    It "shouldn't" seal on the pulley but then I might be wrong. If it does need a sleeve, it will be on the outside of the base of the pulley where it passes through the seal. It's the only place where the pulley would be in contact with a seal.
    Last edited by geezer101; 03-24-2018 at 10:03 PM.

Array
    Status
    Port Angeles, WA
    Vehicle

1983 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

4D56-T
    Quote Originally Posted by geezer101 View Post
    It "shouldn't" seal on the pulley but then I might be wrong. If it does need a sleeve, it will be on the outside of the base of the pulley where it passes through the seal. It's the only place where the pulley would be in contact with the a seal.
    I see. So you're talking about this surface wearing out. Interesting. I might still purchase the pulley and see how it performs as I need the upgraded multi-groove pulley. Unfortunately I don't expect any kind of warranty or return possibility as it's coming from Malaysia...

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    that is where I am talking about the wear issue.
    Pennyman1

Array
    Status
    Port Angeles, WA
    Vehicle

1983 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

4D56-T
    I just noticed they do claim that the pulley has a hardened "over-coating"... for whatever that's worth I still think I'll order one and give it a try. The price isn't too bad, and worst case scenario I'll put the stock one back on.

Features :
    - DD Harden Lightening Crankshaft Pulley is different from other Aluminium crank pulley.
    - 7071 T7 Aluminium and over-coating a hardened layer is used.
    - This hardened effect will protect the pulley and become wear-resisting.
    - The latest technology is to colour the hardened effect.
    - NEW Diamond coat will last longer

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    that may resolve the wear issue - if not Timken sells repair sleeves you can slide over the crank pulley stub.
    Pennyman1

Array
    Status
    Southern Idaho
    Vehicle

1983 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

Other
    I hope it's not the case but looking at that pulley on eBay it appears it is for the DiD. Are the crank pulley's the same between these engines? If so I look forward to seeing how it works as I may get one for my engine.

Jeff

Array
    Status
    Port Angeles, WA
    Vehicle

1983 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

4D56-T
    Thanks pennyman1 and geezer101 for the info. Good to know about the Timken sleeves. I was able to find my old pulley that was removed from my 4D55 and it doesn't appear to me that there are any surfaces that are contacting a seal, so I should be good.

JeffTheMarine - The listing says it's for a "2.5L 4D56 Turbo Diesel L4; 2005 - 2014 Mitsubishi Triton L200 ML / MN Series", so I'm crossing my fingers that there weren't any major design changes (besides belt style) with the crank pulley between my 1988 4D56 and a 2005-2014 4D56...

I'll update this thread once it arrives.

Array
    Status
    Southern Idaho
    Vehicle

1983 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

Other
    I was curious about this. Any updates? Were you able to get it installed?

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by Clouse View Post
    Thanks pennyman1 and geezer101 for the info. Good to know about the Timken sleeves. I was able to find my old pulley that was removed from my 4D55 and it doesn't appear to me that there are any surfaces that are contacting a seal, so I should be good.

JeffTheMarine - The listing says it's for a "2.5L 4D56 Turbo Diesel L4; 2005 - 2014 Mitsubishi Triton L200 ML / MN Series", so I'm crossing my fingers that there weren't any major design changes (besides belt style) with the crank pulley between my 1988 4D56 and a 2005-2014 4D56...

I'll update this thread once it arrives.