Thread: Running Very Rich, Carb, Timing, Fuel?

Array
    Status
    Hillsboro OR
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B

Running Very Rich, Carb, Timing, Fuel?

So I have a 2.6 RAM 50, Pretty much bone stock. Looking for a place to start. I am hoping this is just an A/F mixture issue or accelerator pump. No check engine lights. Starts pretty good and idles well. Car doesn't die ever. Temp gauge sits about 3/8 of the range, just a bit on the cool side. No back firing.

Symptoms
    -------------
    - Bad fuel mileage and hesitation when getting on the throttle fast, as well as hills.
    - I'm getting around 10MPG right now.
    - Carbon on the mudflaps even after cleaning them.
    - Exhaust tip is carbon coated.
    - Black oil relatively fast. 1000 Miles.
    - Slowly applying the gas pedal means everything fine and will go to higher speeds no problem.
    - Quickly press the pedal, car hesitates (0MP/H acceleration) and sputters then most of the time will 'kick back in' and start accelerating again.
    - If car continues to hesitate, i back off of the throttle for a second, then re-apply and then works, every time.
    - I don't see any black smoke.
    - When car is in neutral, I can give it as much throttle as I want as fast as I want without any issues. Only when vehicle is under a load do these problems exist.
    - Hills sometimes cause the same problems as pressing the gas fast.
    - If sputtering on a hill continues even after I re-apply throttle, I will just downshift then apply gas, and shift up again.

Thanks in Advance
    ~Russeree

Array
    Status
    Owensboro, KY
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4D56-T
    Sounds to me like the carb could be the culprit. That would explain the poor fuel economy and all the soot coming out the exhaust. Try tuning it down a bit to see if that helps out any.

Array
    Status
    sheffield, vt
    Vehicle

1978 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G63B
    bad lifters can cause: engine tapping, cold running, poor cold starting, gas in oil, & clogged catalytics.

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    check all the vacuum lines especially the ones going to the box on the drivers inner fender - that is the sensor for the computer controlled mikuni carb.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    I would look at - ignition coil (a tired coil will cause erratic burn cycles especially under load - they are good for 10-15 years tops before replacing), a bunch of carb issues (clogged jets, possible dead accelerator enrichment pump, carb out of adjustment, air/vacuum leaks - possibly due for a tear down and rekitting), engine tune (timing adjustment, plug gaps checked), valve stem seals (explains fouled oil *oil in the combustion cycle will drop fuel octane rating causing detonation, low power on throttle and fouled exhaust)

Array
    Status
    Esparto CA
    Vehicle

1982 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    I have a 82 2.6 4x4 and have almost the same exact same problems... consistant 12.x mpg... recently got a new cat and it passed cali smog. Any ides? Thanks.

Array
    Status
    Esparto CA
    Vehicle

1982 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    it also has a 2v head on it.

Array
    Status
    Raymond New Hampshire, USA
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    I would start by looking at the ignition. More than likely it will be carb related, but carb tuning with a poor ignition just means you'll be tuning again. Your mechanical advance could be stuck. When you are light on the throttle you get the vacuum advance, and when you floor it you lose all advance. I would just replace the plugs, cap, rotor, wires, and coil, and verify your vacuum and mechanical advance are working properly before tearing into the carb.