Array
    Status
    Tampa, FL
    Vehicle

1995 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G64B

Tip for Rear Axle Shaft from Brake Housing

After several unsuccessful attempts to separate the rear axle shaft from the brake housing in order to do the rear wheel bearings, I found an easy way to do it with about $2 in parts. I cut off the wheel bearing retainer, but I couldn't cut off the wheel bearing without damaging the brake housing as it is down in there. So, I figured I would try the common pulling method for parts using bolts. I used two 3/8x4" bolts and two nuts with washers from home depot, but you may have some laying around that would work.

What to do:
    Remove all of the drum brake parts.
    You will need to remove at least two wheel studs. Choose two across from each other.
    Place a smallish metal plate (big enough to cover enough area to distribute the force) against the brake housing behind each of the wheel stud holes. I would say at least 1/4" thick.
    Put a bolt through each of the wheel stud holes with a nut and washer on the back side of the hub and screw each down on to the respective metal plates.
    Then, just alternate screwing down each of the bolts until the axle what gives way.

No need for a press and an expensive tool that may or may not be found.

I had already taken the assembly off of the truck and cut off the wheel bearing retainer, but I think you could probably do this with the axle assembly still attached to the truck. You probably would want to use three bolts in three wheel stud holes with the retainer on, but it may not be needed. I may try it that way on the other side.

Array
    Status
    Tampa, FL
    Vehicle

1995 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G64B
    Update: disregard the part about leaving the axle on the truck. I forgot about the c-clip. Don't want that breaking up in the rear end.

Also, I did the other side and the 3/8 in bolts didn't make it through a second side. Use 1/2 in bolts instead. Another tip for getting the new bearing and retainer on without a press, I used a 2 in schedule 30 metal pipe and just lifted and slammed the pipe down.