Array
    Status
    Kellogg, Idaho
    Vehicle

1990 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64

Still have issues in Idaho

I have the truck running but very erratically (2.4I). I cleaned the MAF and throttle body and idle speed sensors. Won't just start up with out Ether or starting fluid. Once it's running it seems to go OK at speeds above idle but surges at idle. I unplugged the MAF while it was running and it runs a tiny bit better and starts a little easier but nothing really noticeable. I unplugged both of the idle control plugs and no change at all. I tried turning the throttle control relay and distributor and no change. Today I was reading the forum and it talked about the coolant sensor. It was missing when I got it so I bought a single wire sensor as there was a single wire not plugged into anything. I have a temp gauge on the cluster (H-C) and when I did have it running the gauge worked. Could I have the wrong sensor and that is causing the ECU to act up?

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    there are 2 different sensors - one is a thermal switch that cycles with temperature, and an actual sensor, where the output changes with the temperature. The variable sensor is what you need. Look in the manual section to get the correct part number so you can get the correct part.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    Maurertown, Virginia
    Vehicle

1990 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64
    Have you checked for vacuum leaks ? Also, is the EGR passage clean ?
    The greatest gift you have to give to the world is that of your own self~transformation.

Array
    Status
    Kellogg, Idaho
    Vehicle

1990 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64
    I did check for vacuum leaks and found none. Would like to know more about the EGR passage. can you be a little more specific.

Array
    Status
    Maurertown, Virginia
    Vehicle

1990 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64
    I knew nothing about the EGR valve - and some forum members even recommend eliminating them. What I DO know about them is they affect idle and acceleration. I wrote about my experience with the EGR on my build thread -

http://www.mightyram50.net/vbulletin...ll=1#post26350

I'm not sure how well you can unclog them with the head on the engine (mine was off and on the bench, thus easy to access). Inspecting the mechanism is the first step - it's held on with two bolts, no biggie. It does have a gasket, so make a new one, or at very least be sure to put some sealer on before re-installing the EGR.

It's an assumption you know what and where the EGR is - if not, holler, and I'll post a picture. (As a matter of forum history, when I did my rebuild, I was still using analog camera and film - ragragtimetime essentially gave me a digital camera which made posting pictures a lot easier and quicker - I'll never stop thanking him ).

[EDIT] Decided to just post a pic for anyone who needs it -

scan0037_LI.jpg
    Last edited by royster; 01-15-2018 at 05:25 AM.
    The greatest gift you have to give to the world is that of your own self~transformation.

Array
    Status
    Kellogg, Idaho
    Vehicle

1990 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64
    Ok, just spent 80 buck on a Maf sensor so this will probably be the issue. By the way, you seem really knowledgeable on this truck, any info on the transfer case transmission wiring. Can't find a diagram any where. I have no 2wd 4wd lights and the back up are on all the time.

Array
    Status
    Maurertown, Virginia
    Vehicle

1990 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64
    I'm no expert on wiring or transmissions...I assume you mean Pennyman is knowledgeable about these trucks...which he is.

Array
    Status
    Kellogg, Idaho
    Vehicle

1990 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64
    Well the MAF sensor came in and it still won't start with our starting fluid. I'm at the pissed off point from throwing parts at it. Gonna try full filter next. I know it's not getting fuel at the start up.

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Have a crack at following this diagnostic guide - http://www.efispares.com.au/tradetips.aspx