Thread: 87 power ram d50 weber done but transmission does not want to shift help

Array
    Status
    PITTSBURGH,PA
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

I.D.K.?

87 power ram d50 weber done but transmission does not want to shift help

Well I have finished the Weber electric fuel pump install and did fabricate the carb for the transmission linkage as mine is a 1987 d50 4x4 Automatic with a 2.6. The motor runs much better but on test drive I cant get the truck to shift and it only shifted once while going down a hill. Any help would be appreciated and Happy New Year.

Array
    Status
    clarksville, arkansas
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    1988 dodge ram sport 2.6l auto
    don't know if this is your cause but i read that there is a sensor that will not let the od kick in and out till it hits a certain degrees. it being winter it takes mine a bit before it kicks in and out just going to town 3 miles down the road by the time i get there it kicks in and out and thats traveling @ 50-60 miles per hour. hope this helps

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    did you leave a small amount of slack in the kickdown cable at idle? If the cable is not adjusted correctly, it will think the gas pedal is to the floor and stay in 1st gear, possibly burning up the tranny. The sensor Jamesw is talking about is on the intake by the carb, and is a temp sensor to tell the tranny it is ok to go into o/d. It is an emissions thing - you can ground the wire to the intake and the o/d will function anytime it is at the proper speed.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    clarksville, arkansas
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    Quote Originally Posted by pennyman1 View Post
    did you leave a small amount of slack in the kickdown cable at idle? If the cable is not adjusted correctly, it will think the gas pedal is to the floor and stay in 1st gear, possibly burning up the tranny. The sensor Jamesw is talking about is on the intake by the carb, and is a temp sensor to tell the tranny it is ok to go into o/d. It is an emissions thing - you can ground the wire to the intake and the o/d will function anytime it is at the proper speed.
    ok just to make sure i,m understanding the wire going to the sensor which would be hot you can ground to the intake? what do you just splice into it run it to ground and that kills the sensor?
    but just unplugging it doesn't work it has to be grounded?
    looks like if you grounded it will it not blow a fuse?
    or is there even a fuse for it to blow i guess would be my question.

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    The sensor is a thermal switch that grounds the wire when the motor reaches operating temperature. Grounding the wire is just eliminating the thermal switch - it will not damage anything. There is no fuse in the circuit to blow. If the wire doesn't see ground on that wire, it will not go into o/d.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    clarksville, arkansas
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    Quote Originally Posted by pennyman1 View Post
    The sensor is a thermal switch that grounds the wire when the motor reaches operating temperature. Grounding the wire is just eliminating the thermal switch - it will not damage anything. There is no fuse in the circuit to blow. If the wire doesn't see ground on that wire, it will not go into o/d.
    ok makes sense it,s like my old granddad always said there is no such thing as a stupid question i,ll give it a shot tomorrow thanks for the info

Array
    Status
    Washington State
    Vehicle

1986 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    LOL James, wise granddad you must of had. Though he is absolutely correct, I have heard some stupid questions made in other forums and groups. Though, they usually get made fun of rather quickly.

One little mistake on a kick-down cable adjustment on an AOD Ford trany and you could be rebuilding it real quick. Not sure how sensitive Mits MM Auto trans are, I hope not nearly as unforgiving as a Ford AOD.

Array
    Status
    clarksville, arkansas
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    Quote Originally Posted by BradMph View Post
    LOL James, wise granddad you must of had. Though he is absolutely correct, I have heard some stupid questions made in other forums and groups. Though, they usually get made fun of rather quickly.

One little mistake on a kick-down cable adjustment on an AOD Ford trany and you could be rebuilding it real quick. Not sure how sensitive Mits MM Auto trans are, I hope not nearly as unforgiving as a Ford AOD.
    graddad was one of those old men that would smack you up beside your head and when you asked why did you do that? he would say because your acting retarded and your mommy wasn't here to do it.
    it,s not the questions that are stupid but some of the answers sure can make you end up scratching/rubbing your head and make you look at them funny lol