I promised a report on the results of my fuel mileage modifications. To recap, on a 2.6 I installed a lean jetted Weber 32/36, fiddled the advance to have lots of initial with a quick curve but limited total and a functional vacuum advance. I run stock tires on stock wheels, the body is stock height and the 5 speed is stock with a new clutch. I went from Columbus GA to Knoxville TN via Murfreesboro TN. Unloaded, but pulling a 100 lb 4x8 trailer with sides (wind resistance was a consideration). It pulled well and the engine ran well the entire trip with no overheating or starting trouble. I averaged 25.6 MPG!
I then loaded up a 360v8, a 904 transmission, and all the accompanying accessories and sundry, I figure 500 lbs or better in the bed. In the trailer I put a 175LB stereo console (I fix stereo consoles for a hobby) and I averaged- 22.8 MPG.
I was driving with the speedo pegged at several points in the trip and was mostly driving over 75MPH. I am thoroughly impressed with the MPG I pulled down. Has anyone else done better?