Array
    Status
    Cataula , GA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Other

Fuel Mileage report

I promised a report on the results of my fuel mileage modifications. To recap, on a 2.6 I installed a lean jetted Weber 32/36, fiddled the advance to have lots of initial with a quick curve but limited total and a functional vacuum advance. I run stock tires on stock wheels, the body is stock height and the 5 speed is stock with a new clutch. I went from Columbus GA to Knoxville TN via Murfreesboro TN. Unloaded, but pulling a 100 lb 4x8 trailer with sides (wind resistance was a consideration). It pulled well and the engine ran well the entire trip with no overheating or starting trouble. I averaged 25.6 MPG!
    I then loaded up a 360v8, a 904 transmission, and all the accompanying accessories and sundry, I figure 500 lbs or better in the bed. In the trailer I put a 175LB stereo console (I fix stereo consoles for a hobby) and I averaged- 22.8 MPG.
    I was driving with the speedo pegged at several points in the trip and was mostly driving over 75MPH. I am thoroughly impressed with the MPG I pulled down. Has anyone else done better?

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    I have gotten 25 - 26 MPG with Geronimo with the speedo pegged most of the time, with a tonneau cover, easy up 10x10 (old style steel commercial model) and assorted display materials and tools - about 400 lbs total. He has a 32/36 weber, pacesetter header, and Flowmaster exhaust that splits to duals. Weber jetted to match mods.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    New Zealand
    Vehicle

1981 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

Other
    I get about 13L/100km with my V6 conversion

Array
    Status
    Cataula , GA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Other
    OKAY, monster update. I drove to Los Angeles from Georgia fully laden and pulling a full trailer. 22 mpg over 2k miles. return trip had even more weight and still pulled down 21.8

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    The engine running the 32/35 Mikuni would've struggled to pull it and top speed + fuel usage would've been not great. You are really giving it a workout and monster is standing it's ground. For a 39 year old truck with only a carb swap and a distributor re-curve, that is awesome.
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function