Array
    Status
    Delano, Ca
    Vehicle

1992 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

I.D.K.?

Drop spindles vs lowering springs

Which of the two are better for everyday use and can you just do both ?

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Both will work. BUT here's the thing - using lowered springs will dial in the front camber and improve handling. Using 2.5" lowered springs will give 1.5 degrees of negative camber which is optimal (this is how John Baker set up his trucks for racing)

Array
    Status
    utah
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    Quote Originally Posted by geezer101 View Post
    Both will work. BUT here's the thing - using lowered springs will dial in the front camber and improve handling. Using 2.5" lowered springs will give 1.5 degrees of negative camber which is optimal (this is how John Baker set up his trucks for racing)
    hey geezer what lowering springs would you recomend for my 88

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    LOLOLOL I wish I was the ultimate fountain of knowledge. I can only recommend you do online research - find out what brands have a good rep in the states/ask around on site who has bought new springs and get their feedback, and think about what spring rate would suit the truck for your use. I got a new pair of savagely low King springs thrown in with the parts truck I bought but I haven't completed my own front end upgrade yet to know if they will be any good. Might be too harder rate, might be too low...
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    New Zealand
    Vehicle

1981 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

Other
    Always found king springs a worse ride than cut ones. Not too much drama to get custom ones made to spec if there's nothing readily available though

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Quote Originally Posted by tortron View Post
    Always found king springs a worse ride than cut ones. Not too much drama to get custom ones made to spec if there's nothing readily available though
    Too firm? Springs didn't keep their tensile strength? I do actually have a spring manufacturer not that far from me but I have options. The Kings I have are still shrink wrapped but the box is water damaged, kind of a shame not to at least try them. I've heard hit and miss stories about them too...
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    New Zealand
    Vehicle

1981 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

Other
    Real soft is usually the issue. At least with cut springs the spring rate raises and firms (but obviously can go too firm and you don't want them falling out)

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    Your only choices in off the shelf lowering coils is Belltech and AIM industries / chassistech. I have a set of Belltech in Geronimo right now, and they are too soft, bottoming out easily. I am putting the Baker drop coils back in - higher spring rate and wound specifically for our trucks.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    miami, fl
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64
    You'd think Bell went thru all the effort to have a drop spindle cast, they'd at least get the spring rate right.
    If same spring used for another application it should still b close, since minis pretty much similar weight
    Doesn't sound like a shorter(& firmer) Bell shock could tighten up that ride either?
    A motor swap would make it worse in most cases
    I'd think most low minis would want both lowered spindles and springs