Array
    Status
    Thomasville, North Carolina
    Vehicle

1987 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B

2.0 Base timing

Hey guys, I've been trying to figure out the timing spec on my 2.0L Mighty Max. I cant find any specific base timing number. I've always timed it at zero but on my other truck, 91 Chevy K1500, says it needs to be at about 10 degrees advanced. Should I set the Mighty Max at 0 degrees or advance it? Having some backfiring under a load. I'm going to make a forum post about my Weber 32/36 Carb install and all of my modifications once I get all my pictures together! Thanks!

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    The base timing is meant to be between 5-7 degrees BTDC. Make sure your plugs are adequately gapped - if you close them up too much you won't get a hot enough A/F mix burn. And you will need to ensure your ignition coil is in good shape. If it's the original or at least 10 years old it will have about reached the end of its serviceable life. That being said - you are running a Weber. The engine will be more sensitive to ignition tuning and the Weber pulls more internal vacuum than the Mikuni. And the factory tune is...well, garbage. Here is a link to my tuning technique, it should yield an improvement in performance - http://www.mightyram50.net/vbulletin...ll=1#post56600

Array
    Status
    Thomasville, North Carolina
    Vehicle

1987 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    OK, thanks for the info!