Array
    Status
    Killeen, Texas
    Vehicle

1989 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G54B

Flywheel Problems

Hello everyone I am new to the site and new to the Mitsubishi Mighty Max pickups. I had a 1994 Mitsubishi Mighty Max single cab 2 wheel drive truck with a 2.4l 4 cylinder fuel-injected motor and 5 speed transmission. I then found a 1989 Mitsubishi Mighty Max Macro Cab 2 wheel drive with a 2.6l 4 cylinder carbureted motor and a automatic transmission on the column. I decided to fix up the Macro Cab or extended cab. The 2.6l engine in the 1989 was missing a lot of parts like the head, valve cover, carburetor and so on. So I decided to use the 2.4l out of the 1994 and bolt it to the automatic transmission that was in the 1989. The problem I am having is the original flywheel that is bolted to the 2.4l engine from the 1994 also has a plate attached to it. Once I bolt up the torque converter then I don't think I will be able to bolt the transmission back up. I saved the flywheel from the 2.6l engine and thought that might work, but the bolt holes will not line up. My question is does anybody have a part number to a flywheel I could buy that will work with the 2.4l 4 cylinder fuel-injected engine and automatic transmission on the column?

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    You have several issues here - the 1994 2.4 motor is a 7 bolt crank, and the 1989 2.6 is a 6 bolt motor. The 2.4 needs an automatic flexplate with the ring gear - the manual flywheel is not used at all. Try a Mitsubishi dealer for the flexplate - they should be still available. Or you could convert the Macro cab to a 5 spd, but that is more work.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Easiest route is a complete 2.6 engine. By the time you have adapted everything you could've had it up and running without ripping out all the wiring from your '94. OOC, what is the story behind the newer truck? Is it more practical for you to have the macro cab over the single? I'm not dis'n your plan but this isn't as easy as it seems to convert it all over from one truck to the other.

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Easiest route is a complete 2.6 engine. By the time you have adapted everything you could've had it up and running without ripping out all the wiring from your '94. OOC, what is the story behind the newer truck? Is it more practical for you to have the macro cab over the single? I'm not dis'n your plan but this isn't as easy as it seems to convert it all over from one truck to the other.

Array
    Status
    Killeen, Texas
    Vehicle

Engine

G54B
    Pennyman1 thank you so much! I will try the Mitsubishi dealerships. To geezer101 I like extended cabs better, I also think they are more rare then the standard cabs, plus alot of people have told me that a fuel-injected engine would be better and I thought since the 2.4 engine already runs why waste money on getter a 2.6. On top of that I am a mini trucker and love to customize small trucks. Pennyman1 you are not lying about alot of work to convert it to 5 speed. I already have a whole bunch of work planned for it.

Array
    Status
    Killeen, Texas
    Vehicle

Engine

G54B
    Well pennyman1 I got a new flywheel for my 2.4 engine and the holes in the flywheel or flexplate line up with the holes in the back of the engine, so I thought I am good. Well I took all 6 bolts and started them by hand and then finger tightened them. There is still some space between the drive plate and the bolt. Am I still missing another part or will the bolts tighten down enough to take up that space?

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    The flexplate is thinner than a flywheel and uses shorter bolts - use the bolts from the automatic motor. There is also a spacer that goes between the crank and the flexplate that needs to be there for spacing.
    Pennyman1

Array
    Status
    Killeen, Texas
    Vehicle

Engine

G54B
    Pennyman1 do you know of anybody that might have this spacer you are talking about?

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    They are available on ebay or the dealer for the 7 bolt or 6 bolt crank
    Pennyman1

Array
    Status
    Gilbert, AZ
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi Montero
    Engine

G54B
    Sorry to just drop in on this but any chance you'd part with that flex plate from the 2.6L and any misc spacers and bolts for it? Yes I literally just signed up and I haven't looked over this whole forum yet but I'm in despite need of a flex plate aka drive plate. Let me know please and thank you