Array
    Status
    Cincinnati/Dayton, OH
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B

Rejetting weber 32/36

So i got an 89 ram50 (2.6) from my grandfather after he passed this year. This truck means a lot to me (Im 30, i remember riding in this truck when I was just 5 or 6). Ive done a bunch too it to get it highway reliable. When his health started to decline, so did the maintenance on the truck.

I bought the weber 32/36 kit from webercarbsdirect, and the install was a breeze. Converted it to electric fuel pump that supplies the correct fuel pressure (pump is rated at 2-3.5psi without a regulator).

Here are my issues. The most concerning one is pinging/detonation. I thought I had that issue lined out when i first put the carb on the truck. I retarded the timing 1 degree at a time until it went away, then I retarded it 1 more degree after that. This is when the temps were still 80+ degrees out. Now that the cold weather has set in, the pinging came back, and I had to retard it more than it should be to compensate, as well as adding some 93octane fuel. It also diesels pretty bad when i shut it off when up to operating temp. Ive gotten around that by leaving it in drive when I shut it off (keeping a load on it prevents the dieseling).

Then today I pulled the plugs (new, less than 1000 miles) to have a look at them, and it is obviously running a little lean, hence my pinging and dieseling issue. I had suspected this a few times before, because the truck doesnt gain much power when the 2nd barrel opens up.

I have followed the lean drop mixture adjustments provided by both weber, and the guide i have found on this site to no avail.

Anyone else have these issues with the stock jetting on the 2.6?

In the last 1000 miles, I've replaced the fuel lines, distributor cap and rotor, plugs, and plug wires, belts, replaced every fluid in the truck all the way down to the brake fluid. Ran some fuel system cleaner through a tank of gas, etc. Im convinced it needs rejetted.
    I must add, that ive never had any hesitation, except when the engine is cold, which is to be expected. It just pings, and lacks top end power.

Any idea where I should start?
    Thanks!, Brian

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Hi and welcome to mightyram. I may be the bearer of bad news - webercarbsdirect sell knock off Webers. Although it sucks to be given a burn notice like this, you are not the only victim - http://www.mightyram50.net/vbulletin...carb-Becareful!!!!!!!!!!!!

There is absolutely nothing you can do to these crap copies of the 32/36 Weber carbs to to fix the lean/rich issue they inherently have. It's to do with the internal fuel metering galleries during their manufacturing. If you have a receipt and whatever else it came with, send it back and demand a refund. Go to Redline or one of the other reputable companies that distribute genuine Webers and it will end your running woes. The stock jetting in the 32/36 is in the ball park for the 2.6 and these carbs are more sensitive to ignition tuning than the Mikuni carb. It will make a huge difference to how your engine is currently running.

Array
    Status
    Washington State
    Vehicle

1986 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    Welcome to the forum.

Geezer is correct with these Weber copies. I bought one also, years ago and had the same issues. I was chasing problem after problem with this phony carb, which I thought I got a deal on. It just just came with a Weber name sticker on it. Not until I came here to the forum did I realize I got BS'd on the carb.
    I ended up selling the carb on Craig''s list and explained it wasn't a true Weber, but thankfully the new owner knew all about these carbs and said it worked great on his Suzuki Samurai. Well I can't argue with that, lol. I turned around and bought a real Weber, re-jetted for a 2000ft elevation and haven't looked back.
    The 2.6 can also support the 38 Weber as well, so research your needs and let us know your outcome after you make changes.

Array
    Status
    Cincinnati/Dayton, OH
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    I read about this about 10 minutes after I made this post. I guess I'll just have to try to return it and go with the real deal. However, I don't remember seeing any stickers on it. I think mine has Weber cast right into the body of the carb. It does have the black electric choke, which seems to be a giveaway on a phony carb.

You said the 2.6 can take advantage of the 38/38. Is this with no modifications to the engine? The truck is 100% stock. The only "performance" mod I intend to do to this extremely anemic engine(aside from the carb) is ditch the clutch fan for an electric fan. I do plan on a swap a year or two down the road, but my race car is leeching all my funds at the moment. I'd rather not sink a TON of money building an engine that will still make less than 200whp in a 4000lb truck. Lol

If I can benefit from the 38 over the 32/36 on a stock 2.6 then I may just go that route.
    Would you be willing to point me in the right direction? I looked on redlines website and didn't see anything for the ram50/mm, just monteros, etc. I'll need the whole kit with the adapters and all.

Thanks again! This site has been a life saver.

Array
    Status
    Cincinnati/Dayton, OH
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Update*** so I just got home a looked at the carb to be sure, and it is indeed a Chinese knockoff. It has a sticker with red Weber logo (W) on the float bowl housing.

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    The 38/38 is overkill for a stock 2.6 engine. You will sacrifice a chunk of low down torque and a bit of midrange as well before this carb starts to do it's thing. The adapter kit that came with your junk carb will work with a genuine 32/36 Weber (about the only part that is any good from the whole kit) but if you want your money back, everything has to go with it. The factory recommended ignition tune isn't good for a stock engine and nerfed the way they ran straight up - when you swap the Mikuni for the Weber it is an improvement but the Weber has way more potential to increase overall performance. Try this method when you install the replacement carb -

http://www.mightyram50.net/vbulletin...ll=1#post56600

The post is directed to the G63B engine, but this technique yields results on all Mitsubishi neanderthal tech engines running carbs and distributors (in fact, this works well on most distributor-fired engines...)

Array
    Status
    Cincinnati/Dayton, OH
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Lots of good info there. Thanks again!

I found the right kit on redlineweber's website. They are closed today, and dont have the prices listed on the website. Any idea how much they cost over the webercarbsdirect knockoffs?

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Got a link to a genuine Redline kit on ebay - https://www.ebay.com/itm/K614-Mazda-...VTobgj&vxp=mtr

Pretty good - you get the open air filter thrown into the deal but I wouldn't use the filter. The engine really needs a source of cool air to stave off detonation.

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    The stock air filter supplied with the weber carb kits are too short to be effective - they make the air bend too much to make it into the top of the carb. the filter needs to be at least 2.5 inches tall or better to get good airflow.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    Cincinnati/Dayton, OH
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Maybe that filter is causing my detonation? Doesnt make sense why it wasnt pinging in 80+ degree temps but is in 40 degree weather.

I've pretty much written off ebay. I dont like buying from the auction sites much anymore. As for redline, today makes the 3rd attempt to reach them during normal business hours, to no avail. I get redirected to an answering machine, to which my calls were not returned. It is 2017, not 1997. Why are we not able to purchase right off the website? They dont even have their prices listed. Is there an actual distributer that is in the 21st century that doesnt sell knockoff stuff? lol

Array
    Status
    Cincinnati/Dayton, OH
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    UPDATE**
    So I was just gathering all the extras from the china weber in preparations to send it back. They had a paper in the box that says they have a 30 day return policy. It's been about 45ish days. I ordered it oct-11th. I could have sworn i got it in august. (My internal calender is jacked lately) On the same page it also goes on about how they are manufactured all over the world on liscense from Weber. Almost like they are passively saying they aren't real.

It sounds like they (webercarbsdirect) are covering their bases here. Do I have a leg to stand on with trying to return it, or am I screwed with a $270 paper weight? They are closed until Monday due to the holidays.

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    They will try to say no, but be persistent with them and they will refund you the money. They don't have a leg to stand on with the carb - its junk and they know it. It is actually a solex copy (weber workalike) they are passing off as a weber - they own both copyrights.
    Pennyman1

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    They know what they're selling - and they have been doing it for a long time. You do have consumer rights above and beyond their warranty/guarantee but this might be one of those things where you are out of luck. Send them an email stating that you have exhausted your options trying to tune this carb to run as it has an internal metering fault that can't be rectified.

*from what I can gather, webercarbsdirect (lets call them WCD) is a mailing house where you send an order, they contact the company in China and they freight it back via WCD. They don't have a workshop to repair or examine their shitty carbs or supply spares for them. Look on Alibaba - they are probably getting these piles of junk for as little as $20 a piece...

Array
    Status
    Cincinnati/Dayton, OH
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Ok so Just got off the phone with webercarbsdirect. I told them about the metering gallery fault and made an elaborate ruse as to how I determined the carb was bad. I never mentioned the fact that i knew it was chinese junk at this point.

He said they were going to ship me a new one. This is when I dropped the "I want my money back because I know they are chinese clones" speech.
    At this point, he said they had a mixed inventory, and had a few of the real ones on hand. He said this one will have weber cast into the body instead of the sticker. I said ok. So hopefully this is the real deal coming and not just a body with junk parts in it.

Im wondering if they keep a few of the real ones on hand in the event someone calls in to call them out on the fake webers.

Wish me luck. I will make another post to let you all know what I recieved.

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Fingers crossed for you. With the number of these carbs that are sent back to WCD they should know the drill by now. The thing that bugs me the most is that the manufacturer(s) of the knock offs are capable of changing the machining process to fix this problem but won't. They do have actual Webers they can use as a reference and reverse engineer....

Array
    Status
    Cincinnati/Dayton, OH
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    OK So I just recieved the replacement carb. The housing is definitely a true weber. Says made in spain, and weber cast into the body. The accelerator pump housing also has weber cast into it. The only thing that is still throwing me off is the electric choke. It is still black plastic, not the white. However, the ring holding it down is of a goldish, brass color, instead of the polished ring. Does this sound legit, or possibly a remanufactured weber?

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    if it is a dfav, that is correct for the Spanish weber. If it is a dgev , then I am not sure what to think. I doubt they would swap the choke and leave the rest weber.
    Pennyman1

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Quote Originally Posted by pennyman1 View Post
    if it is a dfav, that is correct for the Spanish weber. If it is a dgev , then I am not sure what to think. I doubt they would swap the choke and leave the rest weber.
    ...unless it's a rebuilt Weber with an aftermarket choke on it.

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    true - wouldn't put it past them...
    Pennyman1

Array
    Status
    Cincinnati/Dayton, OH
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    OK so the truck does run much better around town and does a noticable bit better on the highway but something still isnt right. It has a substantial amount more torque in first and second gear. 3rd gear and od, it is still noticable, but not as much. I'm guessing that is normal for an engine thats not known to have much power to begin with. lol

My major issue is idle. I cannot properly tune this carb because I have to run in the throttle stop 3-4 turns for it to idle at the correct rpm. The chinese clone that was on it before idled much better. I was able to get the idle right pretty quick following the guide from redline weber.
    Following redline weber guide to initial tuning says I shouldnt have to screw it in (throttle stop) more than 1 1/2, to 2 turns in once the screw touches the linkage, or there are other issues. It doesnt matter where I put the idle mixture screw, it wont stay running without it screwed in a full 2 turns, and doesnt idle at the correct rpm unless its in 3+ turns.

Something else worth noting. I can run the idle mixture screw all the way to bottom out (or spring bind, not sure which is happening first) and the rpm will increase a tiny bit and smooth out a bit. I know this should not be happening. I've got it about 1 1/2 turns out right now. I would much rather have it running a little rich, than lean.
    Also,a few days before I swapped the carbs, I used my timing light to correctly set the base timing at 7* btdc. That seemed to help a bit even on the clone.

Im seriously wondering if this is a rebuilt weber. It came in a bland cardboard box wrapped in a plastic bag with no other accessories or paperwork.

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Something smells a little funky. A new, genuine factory Weber will always come in a Redline box with everything. I am tending to think that your carb, albeit a real Weber, has been rebuilt and probably isn't jetted right. There are a number of things that aren't commonly known about using the Weber. First up - it is a vacuum BEAST. Internal vacuum on a Weber is higher than the Mikuni and this impacts the vacuum advance on the distributor, forcing it to advance faster than the regular timing curve. Secondly (and directly tied into the vacuum situation) is the engine will become more sensitive to tuning with the Weber. Forget using 'the book' when setting your timing. Once you have found the base 7 degrees BTDC you will need to manually dial in your distributor. Start the engine, undo the distributor retaining nut, hold your engine rpm @ 2000 and swing the distributor gently between advance/retard until you notice engine rpm increases by itself. Retard the timing just a touch from that point and lock the distributor up. You have to understand that the Weber will sacrifice a little of one thing to make gains elsewhere. You can get the distributor modified to iron out the over-advance.

Array
    Status
    Cincinnati/Dayton, OH
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    OK Thanks, I wasnt aware of that at all. Im somewhat familiar with fly weights and springs to change the advance curve. My experience with that has always been on small block ford v8's. Is there a kit out there for optimum performance for a stock 2.6 with a weber? Since I've put it at base 7*, I havent noticed any detonation. I put about 20 highway miles on it today at 75+mph.

As for the jets, the only ones I can see are 165 and 160. These are the two visible that are next to the barrels/venturi. They are the same as the ones visible in the 1st clone I got. Where are the other jets located and what size should they be? If needed, I still have the clone I can swap the jets from.

Lastly, my cluster doesnt have a tachometer, nor do I have an aftermarket tach. any way to check this easily with a multimeter? I may buy a cheap tach for testing. If I go this route, which is the best wire to tap into for tach signal? One of the wires off the ballast resistor?

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    75+ MPH is an indicator that you've got it tuned in the zone so to speak - if you were peaking @ 65ish that would indicate the tune is falling flat. I would get my hands on a combination dwell/tacho tool. They are sort of redundant for todays cars but they do come in handy on occasion. You could always add a couple of gauges to your truck, they go a long way in telling you something is up before an idiot light tells you "I just died, thought I'd let you know...". I am lucky enough to have a truck with a tach but the extra volt, vac and oil pressure gauges I fitted are a good insurance policy. There is a wire in the back of the instrument panel socket especially for a factory tach - tap into that. They made an allowance for it so the wiring harness can be used across different optioned trucks.

Array
    Status
    Cincinnati/Dayton, OH
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Well I've got the idle mixture screw ran all the way in. It runs the best here and does well, but im not leaving this rigged junk on. I've been trying to get ahold of these people since Monday. Their main line gives a busy signal no matter what time of day, and their warranty line just says can't connect right off the rip. I am wondering if they changed numbers or closed up shop.
    Either way, the truck is going to stay parked until I get one from redline Weber. My family keeps asking what I want for Christmas, maybe a new one will be here soon. Lol

I will get the last laugh though. Was just time to replace my debit card. I had the numbers changed. They sent me a return label and box for the first carb to go back in. They don't make it right, they won't get either one back.

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    For it to run well with the screw all the way in means the jets are way out of size for the motor. Best get one with the right jets in it that is new, then rejet the other one later.
    Pennyman1

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast