Array
    Status
    Clinton, Ms
    Vehicle

1992 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64

Unhappy Where to start...

For quite a while now years actually ive had issues with my max. This is a LONG story with a LOT of info in it so hang tight! When I first got my mighty max back in 09, it wouldnt start in any temps below sixty degrees....start and die right away or if above 60 outside it would run like poop and then got bad enough it wouldnt go over 25 mph...the fuel pump went out. I had just gotten the truck and it was FAR from taken care of....no pm unless something broke or it ran like crap..examples like spark plugs and timing belts. NO idea how many it snapped but I know they were never done unless they broke. Fast forward back to my story...I put a fuel pump in it, strainer, sock ect to get it running. Still ran like crap. I have an old hyundai OBD1 scanner which will hook up and read mitsubishi as well so i plugged it up and noticed the baro sensor was way off...truck thought it was operating at 21k feet above sea level! Tested the mass airflow sensor and it was good...replaced the computer and this fixed the problem. Then after that I had all kinds of codes for stuff that wasnt working that the other computer did not see like the TPS sensor and other things which I cant remember now. Fixed all of that stuff too. Took off the intake and cleaned the carbon out of it new plugs wires cap rotor button coil belts cleaned the fuel tank and injectors. Now that everything was done, it would run but ALWAYS had an idle issue even to this day...even when I first got it. When its cold it idles up and then down until it dies by itself...even with the idle air motor unplugged and tps unplugged. You have to give it gas when it starts to drop until it idles up and it will do this until it warms up. After when I first got it running again it had some kind of power to it...I could melt the tires power brake it slide it go as fast as I wanted to. After a year or so the power got less and less until I couldnt do the said things anymore I have no torque any more even to this day (4 years later). NOW at this time, this is whats going on with it: I have no torque no power...anything past half throttle is worthless...sounds like it has asthma sucking in a lot of air like its bogging, slows down going up hill, rarely at times, it backfires once or twice (my truck has what I call good days and bad days...feels like it has some more power some days and none the others and it ifs real bad backfires). Check engine light comes on for code 11 for the 02 sensor at times and will go off if it bogs going uphill slowly with WOT. I had my 400lb toolbox in it the other day and wouldnt go past 60 mph and forget passing on a two lane road. I know it has low compression on number 1 but its had that even when I got it and it still ran like a top well power wise. Most of the time, it feels like its missing (shakes but not like a bucking) but its not constant and only even then you dont feel it when your driving under load...and SOME days (a good day) it does not feel like it at all no matter how long I drive it no shakes no rattles hell you can even tell its running. Timing has been checked via visual inspection of the timing marks and base timing has been set using my scanner grounding the connector on the firewall and using a timing light set on the #1 plug wire. I know this is a lot to read and look at but I am just at a loss on this one....it like its bipolar. Fuel pressure is good and ive replaced plugs wires everything I should since without a difference. All I can say is...HELP!

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    An epic tale of Shakespearean proportions. Hi and welcome to mightyram. Have you replaced the ignition coil? When they break down it kills power across the board, and it will do it mostly at higher rpm and/or under load. If it doesn't burn fuel properly it will do goofy stuff like show it's running rich injection cycles and mess with O2 readings. Most transformer type ignition coils have a working lifespan of 10 years - the coils in Gen 2 trucks were not super awesome from the get go and could do with an upgrade anyway. New coils are available (don't bother with something from a JY - this is one of those components that have one shot at life and then are relegated to landfill). Hope this is the issue and you get an easy fix.

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    also pull the egr valve and clean it and the passages - the carbon buildup will jam the thing partially open and strangle the motor.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980