Array
    Status
    Utah
    Vehicle

1984 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

Dodge V8

84 Ram 50 with a Magnum

Well, stuff is starting to go down so I thought I would make a post about my truck.

IMG_1774 2.jpg
    I bought this truck for $200 back in June of 2017 from a friend who bought it from his neighbor after he threw a rod through the block.
    at first I just wanted to replace the stock motor. but I soon found threads about swapping V8s into these things so I decided to go that way. I am currently putting a 5.9 Magnum from a 97 Ram 1500 using a 904 transmission.

The truck isn't in the best shape. It has a giant rust hole in the floor by the drivers side brake pedal and a smaller one on the passenger side. There are other rust spots in the body and the rear springs are going out. Dash has a few big cracks in it and the seats are ripped. It came with pretty good tires though. And a spare hood, brand new transmission (for the 4 banger) and a bunch of left over tools in the back of the bed and a shell.

IMG_0056.jpg
    Now onto the swap
    I bought two 904's in July (cause UPS dropped the first one and broke the bell housing) and the donor truck in beginning of August.
    I spent about two months rebuilding the 904 and yet to know if it works properly aha. It was my first time ever touching the insides of a transmission, let alone an automatic. I just finished pulling the motor out of the donor truck today. next stop is to pair the motor and tranny so I can notch out space for the crank sensor on the back of the motor before putting the transmission in and lining the motor up to see what needs to be cut out. I plan on using the stock magnum EFI system. Yes I have been moving ridiculously slow on this project.

Im still deciding on whether I want to keep this truck for a long time or just to make it through the winter snow. If it will be finished by then.

Enjoy some more pics.
    IMG_0058.jpg
    IMG_0057.jpg
    IMG_0060.jpg

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Hi and welcome to mightyram. Only time you need to worry about the pace is when you hand over cash for someone else to do it for you (my truck was last registered over 2,000 days ago! Still off the road in pieces but I haven't had it that entire time...just scrounging parts and making small mods and upgrades as I go) Gen 1 trucks aren't the easiest thing to get parts for and they suffer from same/similar problems when it comes to rust. If you can use a tape measure and can weld or know someone who can, pretty much any seat you like will fit in there. Mind you, with a 5.9 in this beast it will pull like a train. When you get the drivetrain in, we'll all love to see some pics of your work.

Array
    Status
    New Zealand
    Vehicle

1981 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

Other
    Very cool, it's the best colour too

Array
    Status
    Washington State
    Vehicle

1986 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    Welcome to the forum That is a nice truck on the outside from what see. Looks straight. Dropping in the combination you thinking is a good idea also. I have seen 318 with the 904 also witch is a perfect almost fit into our trucks. I would continue your progress and I am sure you will enjoy the result when your finished.

Array
    Status
    College Station, TX
    Vehicle

1984 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4D55-T
    I like the pics. Funny thing is that I was looking at them, admiring the truck and then said to myself... "Self that lighting and background reminds me of my home." I was raised in Utah. Low and behold the OP lives there. Probably won't get it done before snow flies, but I don't know what sort of time you have on your hands.
    I love the build idea. Will look forward to seeing your progress.
    Cheers!