Thread: Want a NEW non-jet valve head for $265?

Array
    Status
    moyock, nc
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B

Want a NEW non-jet valve head for $265?

I have a motor that is a 1989 Mitsubishi Marine engine (G54 with no balance shaft and no jet valves). Started to sound weird and act weird (unusual noises over 3500 rpm and developed a rough idle). I pulled it apart and it had a burnt valve. Looks like it had been going on for a while, the valve looked horrible, the seat was eroded, the valve guide was eroded, the port was eroded. See pics.

I found this guy selling a NEW non-jet head for $265 (no core charge or other weird stuff) and thought I'd try it. It is beautiful. See pics. All my parts fit like a glove (which is weird since this is a very unusual G54). The guy who sells it is a jewel, I ended up getting the head, valves (standard size stainless), high pressure springs, head bolts, and valve keepers from him. He is heads and shoulders about the vendors on Ebay (I ordered an exhaust valve set from one place on Ebay, and I got ONE valve). Another Ebay place said "Mitsubishi, Dodge, ... G54B exhaust valve set". It was a set, but they were the wrong size. Stems were longer, and the head smaller. They LATER modified their ad to state "for 78 to 80" models.

This guy got me the last parts (valves and springs) that I bought from him from Ohio to North Carolina in two days. I ordered them Thursday last week, they were here Saturday morning at 10 am. I got the head together and on the motor that day. I finished the rest of the motor Sunday, and had it back in the boat and running Monday.

I have to break it in a little before kamikaze 6000 rpm runs on the river, but I will update.

Engine Machine Service. Good guy. Good stuff. Good service. Check it out.

BadValve0.jpgBadValve1.jpgBadValve3.jpg
    NewHead.jpganewhead.jpg

Array
    Status
    miami, fl
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64
    i posted his link here several times. We call him "Dad" over on SQclub
    he's pretty much the goto guy for parts for us starion folks

never knew of g54b powered boats until a SQC member showed one