Array
    Status
    Earth - California
    Vehicle

1988 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G54B

Unhappy Engine Problems?

Started the truck up and I noticed there is a knocking noise coming out of the engine bay somewhere. I'm hoping it's not the engine, but I wouldn't be surprised if it is, considering how old it is. I also see the exhaust is dripping quite the amount of water, not only that, but there seems to be a lot of smoke coming out. Almost white in color. I know this is not a sure way to diagnose a head gasket problem, but I feel like I have a blown head gasket.

Here is a video of the knocking noise:
    https://vimeo.com/240211121

Here is a video of the exhaust:
    https://vimeo.com/240212436

I had my mom rev the engine gently and it kinda looks like this:
    https://youtu.be/64YqIfGex1c?t=31s

Here is the video I took with mom gassing it a little.

HMMM I am no mechanic, but this looks like a blown head gasket. If it is, what do you guys think about bar leaks head gasket repair? https://barsleaks.com/product/head-gasket-fix/

Would replacing the head gasket be a braniac of a task or is it just time consuming?
    Last edited by BJH324JH; 10-27-2017 at 12:49 PM.

Array
    Status
    New Zealand
    Vehicle

1981 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

Other
    that gasket repair stuff is ok if you just want to run the truck until it totally dies in a couple of months. Propper head gasket job isn't too bad. will need the head to be crack checked and decked flat.
    you can get a leakdown or even a compression test done to help confirm the gasket is the issue. also check the radiator for bubbles, and the oil for milky water

Array
    Status
    Earth - California
    Vehicle

Engine

G54B
    Quote Originally Posted by tortron View Post
    that gasket repair stuff is ok if you just want to run the truck until it totally dies in a couple of months. Propper head gasket job isn't too bad. will need the head to be crack checked and decked flat.
    you can get a leakdown or even a compression test done to help confirm the gasket is the issue. also check the radiator for bubbles, and the oil for milky water
    Thanks tortron for the response, I actually worked at a machine shop. I was the guy that inspected the heads for warpage, pressure tested them, disassembled them, cleaned them, etc... I never removed a cylinder head in my life, although. I am familiar with them. What would I expect if I end up doing the head gasket myself, because honestly that is what is probably going to end up happening. When I did my oil change, I did notice milky white greasy oil on the engine oil filler cap.
    Last edited by BJH324JH; 10-27-2017 at 05:12 PM.

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    The head isn't too bad to do - it's the timing chain stuff that is crucial. Allow yourself as much access to the front of the engine as you can get as it will make your life easier. Man, I love timing belts... Drain the oil out or take off the rocker cover - it will confirm if you have a gasket/head issue. The contaminated oil will be a dead give away.

Array
    Status
    Earth - California
    Vehicle

Engine

G54B
    Quote Originally Posted by geezer101 View Post
    The head isn't too bad to do - it's the timing chain stuff that is crucial. Allow yourself as much access to the front of the engine as you can get as it will make your life easier. Man, I love timing belts... Drain the oil out or take off the rocker cover - it will confirm if you have a gasket/head issue. The contaminated oil will be a dead give away.
    Would there be anything I would need to scribe or mark with a marker to make sure I don't put anything out of alignment?