Array
    Status
    sandpoint, idaho
    Vehicle

1987 Mitsubishi Pajero
    Engine

G54B

Timing chain G54b breaking guides

So my timing chain has worn through the guide for the second time. last time the shop fixed it under warrenty but this time I'm on my own what would cause this. the engine only has 5k on it and only 4k on the whole timing chain assy. any ideas ??timing chain.jpg

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Hi and welcome to mightyram. So this engine has had the same issue twice from one workshop? I would tend to think there is something wrong with either the way they have set the tensioners/guides or their source for parts is questionable. Even when everything is clapped out, they never show this kind of damage. The wear point on the failed guide is very specific - not spread out over the whole guide.

Array
    Status
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Chevy V6
    Is there a counter shaft in the engine? Or is there a delete kit in it?
    The counter shaft is what runs the pump. The rear bearing has a hole in it and if the rear bearing is not rotated to cover the hole you will loose mass oil pressure. There is a spring that holds pressure on the chain tell the oil hits it. Then the oil pressure is added to the tension.
    If you are able to pull that chain up with your finger there is something way wrong. It should be a stiff dick. I know when pulling the head I always would just pull the bolt and let the gear sit on the metal tab.But it was a always super tight even with out oil.
    Members come and members go, But the board keeps track of them.
    Find me on FaceBook
    clicking HERE.

Or look on YouTube Click Here.
    http://mobilemillwright.com

Array
    Status
    sandpoint, idaho
    Vehicle

1987 Mitsubishi Pajero
    Engine

G54B
    I wish I had a picture of the first time it happened to see if it was the exact same thing, I caught it early this time . last time the belt came up and hit the valve cover and made a good size hole. they told me the guide bolts were sheered off.. they put a new oil pump in along with all new parts i was told.

Array
    Status
    sandpoint, idaho
    Vehicle

1987 Mitsubishi Pajero
    Engine

G54B
    it does has the delete for the balance shaft

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    If they didn't use a balance shaft delete chain, the chain would be too long. They probably tried to take up the slack by using all the adjustment of the guides - that would cause the chain to slap and do the damage you see.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    sandpoint, idaho
    Vehicle

1987 Mitsubishi Pajero
    Engine

G54B
    so i removed the guides and oil pump and tentioner, the tentioner and guides are all grooved badly and the guide that is broken in the picture is actually missing a 1.5"s off the top.. Im going to order a new oil pump just in case any suggestions it has had a melling the last two times..

Array
    Status
    sandpoint, idaho
    Vehicle

1987 Mitsubishi Pajero
    Engine

G54B
    so i removed the guides and oil pump and tentioner, the tentioner and guides are all grooved badly and the guide that is broken in the picture is actually missing a 1.5"s off the top.. Im going to order a new oil pump just in case any suggestions it has had a melling the last two times..

Array
    Status
    sandpoint, idaho
    Vehicle

1987 Mitsubishi Pajero
    Engine

G54B
    what does the timing chain have to do with the balance shaft on the oil pump assembly they are separate from each other?

Array
    Status
    sandpoint, idaho
    Vehicle

1987 Mitsubishi Pajero
    Engine

G54B
    so i removed the guides and oil pump assy. eerything is grooved pretty badly , the broken guide in the picture actually has a 1.5" piece missing from the top which must be in my oil pan . think ill just replace the pump its a melling any reccomendations??

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    the main chain runs the top balance shaft, the smaller chain runs the lower shaft for the oil pump and balance shaft. If it was done right, there should only be a stub shaft in the oil pump .
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980