Array
    Status
    Portland, Or
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B

Weird sound in steering

I have a 1989 Dodge Ram 50 4x4, and I was driving it today. When I parked it, I was turning the wheel and heard what sounded like a lower clunk in the steering. Basically when the wheels are strait, I can move it left or right, and there's a small pop. Almost like somethings catching, and releasing. I don't know if it's in the steering box, or? Anyway if you need more information, or if you might have experienced this before and know what I'm talking about please let me know. I don't want to drive it right now because I don't want to break something lol. Thanks in advance.

Josh

Array
    Status
    New Zealand
    Vehicle

1981 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

Other
    get under it and swing on the ball joints, sounds like one has worn out

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Steering faults/knocks (in this order) - upper/lower ball joints, tie rod ends, steering drag links. Feels like a wheel 'jumps' when turning and/or front end wanders or pulls randomly - control arm bushes, radius rod bushes. Steering boxes can go 'sloppy' but generally don't knock or make scary noises. It's not going to destroy itself or fall apart (not unless you completely ignore it and the truck hopes you go away). Grab a wheel and try to rock it horizontally and vertically. You should notice some play if there's a ball joint or control arm bush gone. There is also a possibility a wheel bearing has failed too but that will cause random brake disc drag and other weird symptoms.

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    Idler arm bushings or the arm itself
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    Portland, Or
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Okay, sorry it's been a while, I haven't forgotten about this thread! I've been in Fairfax Virginia for a wedding, and I'm sitting in Chicago on my way back to Portland. Once I get back I'll definitely get under the truck and check all of those things. I did shake the wheels, and nothing seemed loose. It's just a bit alarming when I turn the wheel a few inches a pop happens, then when I turn it back a few inches it's the same. I'll let you know what I find out.

Array
    Status
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Chevy V6
    Have someone rock the steering while you look at it. If something moves before the part it's connected to you found a problem.
    Members come and members go, But the board keeps track of them.
    Find me on FaceBook
    clicking HERE.

Or look on YouTube Click Here.
    http://mobilemillwright.com