Array
    Status
    PITTSBURGH,PA
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

I.D.K.?

1987 power ram 50 issues please help

I purchased a 1987 Power Ram 50 with a 2.6 Auto with 56000 original miles. I purchased where the previous owner said he got the engine rebuilt but believes the truck has carb issues. While working on the truck it had some timing issues and I thought this was the issue. I then changed the spark plugs finding them fouled and installed NGK Plugs and at first start the truck ran flawlessly and appeared to run normal. I drove the truck off and on for a few miles and it is running bad again with fouled plugs. I changed the oil and could smell gas in the oil. I am now thinking the carb maybe the problem and am thinking of installing a Weber Carb. Just looking to fix this as easily as possible as this is my sons first truck and I have no experience with the 2.6. I would also like to add a MSD ignition that I have laying around any help is appreciated as I don't know if I have to get rid of the resistor. Thank You in Advance.

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Hi and welcome to mightyram. If it had only done 56k original mile it shouldn't have needed a rebuild (just my opinion), maybe new seals and an engine flush. The Mikuni isn't an easy carb to work on - might only be a sticking float and clogged jets but if you aren't tied to emissions regulations the Weber works better especially on the 2.6 I would keep with the factory ICM ignition and change the oil filled coil to a transformer coil (they are available on ebay - http://www.ebay.com/itm/BRAND-NEW-IG...dZz6d8&vxp=mtr) If the original coil is tired, a replacement unit may help your fouling issue (a coil generally lasts about 10 years before it starts to break down). I would be cautious about installing the MSD in the truck as, if your ignition module had the wrong impedance of current fed into it, it could overheat and bake itself.

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    It will depend on the version of MSD you have if you can use it. I used to run an MSD 5 on Geronimo, but it was a basic model for points or electronic ignitions like is in our trucks. The gas in the oil sounds like the Mikuni has given up the ghost - they are prone to gasket leaks and bad chokes that will drown the motor with gas. Be sure you buy a real weber - they have a white / beige choke and have a letter W cast into the top of the carb over the float bowl. There are many knockoffs out there - empi, webercarbdirect, and others sell them - stay away - they are cheap for a reason. I have run a weber on Geronimo for 34 years, I know it will help your truck. As a bonus, you can delete the smog stuff if you register it as an Antique - although it will run clean enough to pass PA inspection once you change the carb if you leave the cats on. Geronimo passed PA tailpipe emissions without the cat with the weber, but I had to put one to have the exhaust fixed. He is now exempt (less than 5K/year) so it is not an issue. Be sure you get the kit with the kickdown lever and the DFAV weber - it is the one for an automatic. Welcome to the forum - we need pics, condition not important.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    Washington State
    Vehicle

1986 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    Welcome to the Forum.

Array
    Status
    PITTSBURGH,PA
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

I.D.K.?
    Thanks for the responses. I will post pics soon.