Thread: Question: Do the filler plugs have magnets?

Array
    Status
    Earth - California
    Vehicle

1988 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G54B

Question Question: Do the filler plugs have magnets?

I know the drain plugs on the transmission and transfer case have magnets. The transmission filler plug that I just removed does not have a magnet, would this be the same with the transfer case filler plug? Looking at the transfer case filler plug has me thinking it does, judging by the hole it has at the end:

20170921_140523.jpg

Can anyone confirm if the transfer case filler plug has a magnet? I don't want a magnet destroying the internals of the transfer case.

20170921_140820.jpg
    Last edited by BJH324JH; 09-21-2017 at 06:55 PM.

Array
    Status
    Pukwana, SD
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

6G72
    You would think the magnets would be on the bottom plugs where the shavings would sink to a magnet but on the filler that plug would not see much action. I believe the drain plugs and the differential plugs are magnetized.

Array
    Status
    Earth - California
    Vehicle

Engine

G54B
    Quote Originally Posted by Law Dog View Post
    You would think the magnets would be on the bottom plugs where the shavings would sink to a magnet but on the filler that plug would not see much action. I believe the drain plugs and the differential plugs are magnetized.
    Yes, the drain plugs are magnetized, I'm just wondering if the filler plug for the transfer case contains a magnet. I heated up the filler plug because it was difficult to remove and I think I may have melted the glue that possibly held a magnet to the filler plug. Don't know though, I want to confirm if there even was a magnet in the filler plug. I hope not. I don't know why a magnet would be in the filler plugs, but you never know.
    Last edited by BJH324JH; 09-21-2017 at 06:56 PM.

Array
    Status
    Pukwana, SD
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

6G72
    plug.jpg Looks like your good I had a spare T/C on the ground out in the shop!

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    No magnets in the filler plugs, only the drain plugs.

Array
    Status
    Earth - California
    Vehicle

Engine

G54B
    You guys are awesome! I can now rest my mind. Thank you Law Dog and geezer101.

Array
    Status
    Pukwana, SD
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

6G72
    A 6 point socket and a med hammer will get that nut loose without the heat! Just need a good socket with sharp edges on that thin plug head!

Array
    Status
    Earth - California
    Vehicle

Engine

G54B

Boring Stuff

A 6 point socket and a med hammer will get that nut loose without the heat! Just need a good socket with sharp edges on that thin plug head!
    I would have definitely gone that route had I known they would be difficult to remove. Here's a stress preventing tip, if you remove the transmission with the transfer case, loosen the filler and drain plugs before you put it back in the truck. They are really tight and this is not something you want to be doing on your back with limited space. When the transmission and transfer case is off the truck, you have more space and leverage to really get at it and loosen the filler and drain plugs with ease. Using a long breaker bar with a six point socket, or even better, an impact gun. Although it is possible to remove the filler and drain plugs with the transmission and transfer case in the truck, it is a huge hassle. I also recommend you replace the filler and drain plugs with better plugs. The ones that came from the factory are really thin and strip easily.

Here are the factory plugs after being gripped with locking pliers, chiseled at, then finally heated and loosened with a breaker bar and a six point socket.
    20170923_203932.jpg

A comparison of the new plug versus the old plug:
    20170923_204026.jpg

You can remove the magnet by simply twisting it off. The Chinese used some cheap glue to glue it on to the plug.
    20170923_204307.jpg

Finally, the main reason I bought this plug, it has a square drive.
    20170923_204606.jpg

New plug is Oil-Tite! 65406, Thread Size: M18-1.50
    Last edited by BJH324JH; 09-23-2017 at 08:32 PM.

Array
    Status
    Pukwana, SD
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

6G72
    Had to chase that one I have around on the shop floor to get that pic! LOL That plug can surely lock in place easily! Where did you get that square plug at?

Array
    Status
    Earth - California
    Vehicle

Engine

G54B
    Had to chase that one I have around on the shop floor to get that pic! LOL That plug can surely lock in place easily! Where did you get that square plug at?
    I got it at that green auto store. You know...