Array
    Status
    Kansas City, MO
    Vehicle

1992 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

6G72

Need some help getting an overseas part

I know we've got a few people on here who aren't in the States. I'm hoping somebody can help me out.

I'm looking for a mass air sensor housing from a 2007+ 3.0 or 3.8 petrol Pajero. The part number is 1500A140. It's just an empty plastic housing that the actual MAF sensor screws into. I've only found a couple for sale on line, but they usually include the actual sensor element ($$) or the entire huge airbox ($$$ due to shipping size). I've got the sensor and the airbox from different US cars. I just need the damn adapter piece.

It's small and light, so shipping should be easy. If anyone can help me, I'd really appreciate it. Even if you can just put me in touch with a dealer who's willing to ship to the US, that'd be a huge help.

Thanks.

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    Does it have to be from a Mitsu? there are other vehicles that have the removable MAFs that you could use...
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    Kansas City, MO
    Vehicle

Engine

6G72
    I'm laying the ground work for a late model engine and ECU swap. If I can keep the OEM sensor and Montero/Pajero airbox, then that makes ECU calibration basically plug and play.

I think this part is only $30-40, so if I can just find one, it should save me a lot of headache down the road.

Array
    Status
    Pukwana, SD
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

6G72
    There are brokers that will locate parts like that for you I needed a T/C shifter plate and that's how I got it! Just type in the part number and the places will pop up they give you different prices and options of what country that has the parts.

Array
    Status
    New Zealand
    Vehicle

1981 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

Other
    Hey mate, I'm in NZ. Happy to pull one and post your way, likely there's one at the wreckers

Array
    Status
    New Zealand
    Vehicle

1981 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

Other

Array
    Status
    Kansas City, MO
    Vehicle

Engine

6G72
    Quote Originally Posted by tortron
    I emailed those guys before I made this thread, to see if they could get it. Their response was "there are no part #1500A140 in the USA at this time".

Well no shit. It's for a vehicle North America didn't get. Which is why my email explicitly asked if they could actually provide non-NA parts, or if it was just some generic database fluff.

The only other hits I've found are in Russia, which is impenetrable, or obscenely overpriced stuff from Japan. Like, over $500 USD for an airbox lid and this stupid adapter.

Quote Originally Posted by tortron
    Happy to pull one and post your way, likely there's one at the wreckers
    If you can find one, that'd be amazing. I can barely find US spec 3.8s in the junkyards here. It seems like the 07+ Pajeros were even less common overseas with a 3.8. All the ones I can find at parts yards are diesels.

I should just get out my plastic welder and make something. This is getting silly.

Array
    Status
    Tampa, FL
    Vehicle

1995 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G64B
    Have you looked at the late 2000s Galants or Eclipses with the 3.8? I would guess it would be similar.

Array
    Status
    New Zealand
    Vehicle

1981 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

Other
    Have had a look, and none of those years in any near me.

Array
    Status
    Kansas City, MO
    Vehicle

Engine

6G72
    Quote Originally Posted by Silverjoel
    Have you looked at the late 2000s Galants or Eclipses with the 3.8? I would guess it would be similar.
    You'd think so, but they're not. The MAF flange is molded into the airbox lid on those. On the Pajero, it's separate. Probably so they didn't have to design a new airbox lid. This piece basically makes the new style drop-in MAF fit into a space meant for the old vortex style MAF.

V97W MAF.jpg

Some other folks have checked around for me, and there aren't any good options.

The best suggestion I've gotten is to try Amayama. They order parts from overseas dealers and then mail them to you. I'd heard of them before, but didn't know if they were reputable. I've gotten some good feedback from people I trust, so I'm going to try them.

Who knows, they might end up being a good source of otherwise unavailable parts for our trucks.

Array
    Status
    Tampa, FL
    Vehicle

Engine

G64B

Array
    Status
    Kansas City, MO
    Vehicle

Engine

6G72
    A Mopar dealer is going to have a part for a Mitsubishi SUV that had no US equivalent, let alone no Chrysler equivalent. I don't think so.

Thanks for trying though.

Array
    Status
    Tampa, FL
    Vehicle

Engine

G64B
    The Mitsubishi Outlander uses the same MAF sensor MR985187, so you could get something off of that.

Array
    Status
    Tampa, FL
    Vehicle

Engine

G64B
    Why not use the whole air intake setup from something like that? If its readily available that is.

Array
    Status
    Kansas City, MO
    Vehicle

Engine

6G72
    Pretty much any Mitsu since 2004 has the airbox on the wrong side of the engine bay. The Montero/Pajero is the sole exception. The new intakes are all molded plastic, so there's no easy way to change the angles. That's why I want the Pajero piece. The Montero airbox fits on the correct side of the engine bay, I already have one I can use with my current vortex MAF, and the Pajero MAF would be a drop in replacement if I ever get that far with the electronics. I can also much more easily build a completely custom intake around it if I want to.

It'll make more sense once I get the engine and intake installed in the truck, and I have pictures to explain what I'm talking about.

Array
    Status
    Tampa, FL
    Vehicle

Engine

G64B
    I understand. My MM has quickly turned into like half Montero Sport, so I'm pretty much about finding what I can adapt.

This may be a long shot, but have you checked on the air box sizes of various Mitsus that use the same MAF (t looks like lancers, galants and outlanders)? If the lid of one of those would fit on the lower air box you have, it wouldn't change much else as it looks like the air box lids on those vehicles are very similar, just with the piece you're looking for molded into the lid.

Array
    Status
    Kansas City, MO
    Vehicle

Engine

6G72
    The 3.8L Montero airbox I have is huge. Nothing else will fit. The MAF would stick upward at a 45* angle even if it did.

This is what the 3.8 engine bay looks like.

Array
    Status
    Nevada
    Vehicle

1990 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

Other
    Jeff if you order one and shipping isn't much more then see if you can grab two. I'll gladly reimburse you.

Array
    Status
    Kansas City, MO
    Vehicle

Engine

6G72
    I've got two of these things on order from Amayama. Their ETA is 2 months. Fortunately I won't need them until next spring.

Array
    Status
    Nevada
    Vehicle

1990 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

Other
    Wow, I guess it's good you at least found them.

Array
    Status
    Kansas City, MO
    Vehicle

Engine

6G72
    So much for 2 months

V97W_MAF_1.jpgV97W_MAF_2.jpg