Status
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B

What am I getting into?

Folks -

About to pick up a 1988 Power Ram 50 from a friend. Original engine (G54B) has 82K on it and is said to have a thrown rod. I have seen re-manned engines online for $1,900 but would rather avoid a swap if I can. Before I go forward with this purchase can I please get a little advice? I am familiar with older Japanese engines - I have a 1997 Toyota Land Cruiser.

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    It is kind of unusual that the 4G54 threw a rod. It must've been getting beat on pretty badly to do that kind of damage to it. With only 82k on the clock it should be healthy. My suggestion is evaluate how much your friend is asking for it and then work out worst case scenario of how much it'll cost to get it running. Is it only a rod or has it blown a hole through the block? A new set of rods, a light hone, new bearings, rings and the necessary gaskets should bring it back into service (maybe add a crank journal linish if it hasn't been severely scored). It's one of those situations that you won't know what condition the engine is in until you take a wrench to it. Do the local JY's have any Ram50's/MM's? Maybe find a used, running 4G54 to swap in. Most of the mechanical parts are cheap enough to order online - you could drive it around while you take your time to rebuild the original engine and go through the process of sorting out the weak links like the jet valves and the factory carb.

Array
    Status
    Maurertown, Virginia
    Vehicle

1990 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64
    Welcome to the forum, Cosram50. With that low of mileage, I wonder if the timing belt wasn't replaced at 60,000...then stripped or broke. If that's the case, then you have some damage up in the top end to contend with.

Do keep us posted about your progress, discoveries, and of course, post some photos!
    The greatest gift you have to give to the world is that of your own self~transformation.

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    G54b is a timing chain - you're slipping Royster...
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980