Thread: Think this trailer hitch is salvagable?

Array
    Status
    Kansas City, MO
    Vehicle

1992 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

6G72

Think this trailer hitch is salvagable?

I picked this up off of an 89? Toyota pickup last year. It's been sitting outside ever since. It looks like it'll fit my truck with some minor mods. But I'm worried about how deteriorated it is. There's huge flakes of powder coat and rust coming off.

YotaHitch1.jpgYotaHitch2.jpg

Even if it was brand new, I don't see myself ever towing anything bigger than a Harbor Freight trailer or one of the really small ones from UHaul.

Would it be worth cleaning it up and painting it? Or should I just use it for test fitting and then buy a new one? Looks like they're pretty cheap.

https://www.trailerjacks.com/index.p...roduct_id=1118

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Buzz over it with a wire wheel as the crusty powder coating and surface rust will mask the condition of the hitch. I think as long as there aren't any holes through the mounting flanges or tubing and the welds haven't cracked it will be useable. I bet there are hitches in worse condition that are still being used and the owner is none the wiser.

Array
    Status
    Kansas City, MO
    Vehicle

1992 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

6G72
    I mocked it up today, and this is going to require more work than I expected. It's still possible, but I've got other problems to deal with before this can be a priority.

Array
    Status
    Nevada
    Vehicle

1990 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

Other
    Bummer. Was hoping that would fit easy. I have 2. One has a smaller receiver that I need to swap out.

Array
    Status
    Palominas, Arizona
    Vehicle

1984 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    I would cup brush all the rust to check for cracks. If there's no cracks I'd use it. If you only plan on pulling a harbor freight trailer I would think you could just use the bumper???

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Quote Originally Posted by MattHammer View Post
    ... I would think you could just use the bumper???
    The bumper bar won't have the structural integrity to pull a load. It would either cave in or bow outwards (or both).

Array
    Status
    New Zealand
    Vehicle

1981 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

Other
    Dead easy to make one up for these trucks from scratch though

even if you didn't want to do it, a towbar shop would make one up in an afternoon for fairly cheap

Array
    Status
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Last I checked for another member, you could still buy a received hitch for our trucks online. I will check my notes and post up when located.

Array
    Status
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Take as look at the Multi-Fit receiver hitches from Reese, Draw Tite and Curt. If memory serves, one of those fits nicely. Think it is the Reese. Saw it a while back @ Walmart. If you want a super strong hitch, once your get the cross bars adjusted and bolted, you could have it welded, but IMHO the bolt set-up is adequate. Reese multi-fit P/N is 37042.

Array
    Status
    Earth, the Solar System
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B

Array
    Status
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    I believe that is an application error. This unit dimension is for a full size D-150/Ram 150. The Curt fitment info only lists full size trucks. This can't fit properly if it also fits a full size truck. The frame width is too wide and this model is a direct fit and is not adjustable.

Array
    Status
    Earth, the Solar System
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    Quote Originally Posted by yamahlr View Post
    I believe that is an application error. This unit dimension is for a full size D-150/Ram 150. The Curt fitment info only lists full size trucks. This can't fit properly if it also fits a full size truck. The frame width is too wide and this model is a direct fit and is not adjustable.
    Rock auto is pretty reliable and they would confirm for you if you contacted them to check if you were worried it was an incorrectly placed ad. That ford on the info page is probably just stock pics.

Array
    Status
    clarksville, arkansas
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    Quote Originally Posted by yamahlr View Post
    you are right on this i bought that one from rockauto for my 88 got it in found out it was to wide. the good thing was i called them and they told me it had been listed wrong and refunded my money. bad part is i had to travel 30 miles one way to a fedx center gas out of my pocket i finally ended getting one from a friend of mine 4 mo,s later and had to have it modified to fit. then october.26 of last year had a pecker wood rear-end me @ 100 mph but the hitch save my truck because it was sticking out far enough that it took 70 % of the impact the tailgate and right lower panel took the rest of the impact. so when i went back with a trailer hookup device i went with a bumper off a 87 mm from a scrap yard had to do just a little bit of modding on it but not much. beside i thing it looks better than the hitch and plus it give me a step to get into the back of the truck if need be.IMG_20180321_152822182.jpgIMG_20180403_065033178.jpg

Array
    Status
    Earth, the Solar System
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    I measured my 85 frame inside to inside of the channel and its 36 5/8" I could not find the measurements of the Curt 13310 receiver hitch anywhere online so I called the Seattle dealer and they told me the center to center of the mounting holes is 37.79" so its easily an inch too big. I wonder why RA has it listed for our trucks?

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    they think the ram 50 is a ram 150 - see that all the time on Amazon and eBay
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    Earth, the Solar System
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    I contacted RA to inform them and this is the reply I got.

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. I did look into this and confirmed that the hitch we have listed would not work for any Ram 50. This part will be removed from our listings for this vehicle. Curt will also be notified. I do not have a hitch right now that would fit this vehicle, but hopefully Curt is able to make or find an existing part that does fit and add it to their listings when they upload their next application data charts. Once we have a part that fits this vehicle, we will list on our website but I unfortunately do not have a time frame for if / when that would occur. We apologize for any inconvenience that this may have caused you.

Thank you,

Zachary
    RockAuto Customer Service

Array
    Status
    Earth, the Solar System
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    I found this https://www.carid.com/1985-dodge-ram...eiver-hitches/ and https://www.ebay.com/b/Towing-Haulin...653/bn_1366660

I'm not yet ready to get one but I do eventually want one .