Thread: valve adjustment

Array
    Status
    Coolidge, Arizona
    Vehicle

1984 Mitsubishi Mighty Max

valve adjustment

From cylinder #1 @TDC on the compression stroke and adjusting #1 exhaust and intake, the crankshaft is rotated 360 degrees to get #4 @TDC...is this correct?

Array
    Status
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Chevy V6
    To adjust the valves each piston should be on TDC but you can adjust the valves in other ways. Look in the manuals and source info section for a first gen manual. The process is the same for nearly all engines. When the engine is on #1 TDC you can adjust other valves same with #2 and so on. But if you are unsure then the best way to do things is 1 at a time. You will rotate the crank 2 full times to make all the adjustments this way.
    Members come and members go, But the board keeps track of them.
    Find me on FaceBook
    clicking HERE.

Or look on YouTube Click Here.
    http://mobilemillwright.com

Array
    Status
    Burbank, CA
    Vehicle

1983 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4D55-T
    with number 1 tdc adjust exhaust 1, 2,3 and Intake 1
    rotate crank 360 (Timing mark on cam will be off 180) adjust Exhaust 4 and intake 2,3,4

Array
    Status
    Eugene, OR
    Vehicle

1984 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4D55-T
    Are you guys setting the valves when the engine comes up to temperature? Or when it is cold? Also what size feeler gauge? I am told it is better to error on the loose side rather than to tight. Is this correct? Thanks

Array
    Status
    Cali
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    Quote Originally Posted by mikewarme View Post
    with number 1 tdc adjust exhaust 1, 2,3 and Intake 1
    rotate crank 360 (Timing mark on cam will be off 180) adjust Exhaust 4 and intake 2,3,4
    news to me but def. good to know. im curious, are da valves adjusted closer to "perfection" if done one cylinder TDC at a time? or makes no diff. and using the method u mentioned produces great end results as well.
    Last edited by ikeepzitclean; 12-27-2012 at 06:35 PM. Reason: revised; spelling

Array
    Status
    Macon, Ga
    Vehicle

1984 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4D55-T
    I may be a little late but I thought I'd post here anyways. How I do it is:
    From what I recall the gap (in inches) is between 0.0012-0.0024 on the intake and 0.0018-0.003 on the exhaust (I think I have the intake/exhaust the correct way around). I turned my crank pulley bolt until the rocker arm on #1 cylinder intake was as high as it would go, right before it starts falling and then I set the exhaust gap. Turned the pulley bolt until the Exhaust was as high as it would go and I set the Intake gap. Repeated that for the remaining cylinders.