Array
    Status
    Cataula , GA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Other

!st gen headliner material

I'm embarking on a ridiculous restoration of a '79. Does anyone have a source for CORRECT headliner material or even just another vinyl that I can rebond with foam and use? It ought to be textured, perforated black vinyl.

Array
    Status
    sheffield, vt
    Vehicle

1978 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G63B
    ebay has a variety...I too am in need of a liner....my "watch list" allows me to monitor.

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    I would recommend putting up a layer of body deadener like dynamat and then covering it with perforated vinyl. It will kill noise and improve cab temperatures. I salvaged the headliner from my donor truck. The PO paid $250 AU for it to be 'professionally' done and as I peeled it back expecting to see some kind of bitumised noise barrier I found - a $10 yoga mat... screwed over badly. You can get perforated vinyl on ebay for $15 - $25 per yard. I did look at custom headliners but they're only available for full size trucks like GMC, Ford etc. Would've been cool to get one with an overhead console and speaker mounts.

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    Joann Fabrics has automotive upholstery material, believe it or not - check out their selection - some even has a foam backing on it.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    Las Vegas, NV
    Vehicle

1979 Plymouth Arrow Truck
    Engine

G54B
    The `79 Sports came with a headliner ???

My truck is supposed to be all original / unmodified (prior to me), and it has no headliner.
    (and it doesn't look like it ever did, the inside roof sheet metal and paint are very nice and clean)

Array
    Status
    Earth, the Solar System
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    Quote Originally Posted by pennyman1 View Post
    Joann Fabrics has automotive upholstery material, believe it or not - check out their selection - some even has a foam backing on it.
    I can verify this. I did my Dakota with some nice fabric with foam. You can get the spray glue there too. I agree with Geez, i'd put some sort of insulator on before putting in new liner.

OG Arrow, when my liner came off my 85D50 the sheet metal was painted like it would be clean if they never put the liner in. So maybe yours is stock.

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    I've got the equivalent of a Royal (all plastic cabin trim, did have cloth seats and matching door trim with a vinyl perforated headliner). The turret metal under the headliner was skimped on when it ran through the spray line from factory so it would be fair to assume if you have a solid colour cab turret paintjob, it wasn't intended to be trimmed. p.s. don't buy foam backed material for the headliner unless the foam is super thin. When you go to spray bond it to the turret it will have a bunch of dents in it from pressing it into place. It'll look terrible.
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    Do what I did - Dynamat the ceiling, then get a piece of poster board and glue the headliner onto it. You can then slide it into place. Look in the gallery at the interior pics for Geronimo - you can see the finished result.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    New Zealand
    Vehicle

1981 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

Other