Thread: Prothane Body Mount Bushings install.

Array
    Status
    Earth, the Solar System
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B

Prothane Body Mount Bushings install.

OK here is the instructions Prothane body mount lit.jpg BTW top of bolt is 14 mm nut on bottom is 17mm.
    I loosened the passenger side. Started with the front. It was difficult. I feel like there is something other than these three spots and gravity holding the cab down. I pulled a bolt from a bar attached to the frame that ran up. I managed to pry and the top rubber was soft enough I got it out. The Prothane is smaller and does not have the attached steel on each side. I put it and the washer up there dropped the bolt through put copper anti seize on the tube pushed it into the bottom bushing and then hooked it up. I had to hit the tubes with wire a wheel to clean off the old rubber. They would not have fit in the Prothane if I didn't.
    Went to the middle one and it gave me fits. I switched to my big floor jack and did the back one. The top of it is in a cup. I lifted the corner of the cab 3 inches using the tire iron (there is an indent for it to catch that bottom lip) and after a few fumbles got the old one out and the new on in. Same deal on the rest of it.
    I went back to the middle one and I can pry the frame mount and cab apart enough but the bushing is stuck to the bottom of the cab. I can't jack it apart, the cab isn't lifting. Anyway if anyone has ideas while I'm taking a break it might be nice. I'm thinking I'll spray it and move on to the other side.

Array
    Status
    Earth, the Solar System
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    OK It came right out as soon as I went back to it. The other side front and middle were easy peasy and now the back corner of the cab is giving me fits. There is no indent in the lip and the lip is bending to hell. Jacking does not separate the cab and frame only prying on the mount itself does. The cab does not lift like it did on the other side. The top piece is stuck and I can't get it out. SO I'm taking a break hoping I get it when I go back. 5 down one to go.
    EDIT- Found some puckered paint and light rust on rocker hit them with the wire wheel while I'm down there. I don't have rustoleum on hand but I have some self etching primer which should seal it.
    Last edited by 85Ram50; 08-31-2017 at 03:56 PM.

Array
    Status
    Earth, the Solar System
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    It is done. I crawled under it from the other direction and it was easier. Drove it and there is a world of difference. I wouldn't say its comfort of ride so much as the cab now sits level and it don't squeak. So that makes it feel more comfortable. I had no idea it was leaning so much. I thought it was the bench seat having collapsed.

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Damn. It must've been in a bad state if you thought it was just the bench seat. Have you noticed any other differences with the urethane bushes like drivetrain noise/vibration?

Array
    Status
    Earth, the Solar System
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    I think the rubber bushings were moving a lot and sagged pretty bad on the driver side. The prothane are harder. I only drove it a half mile last night but there were considerably fewer squeaks. Today I will be driving it, wish I could get the leaf spring bushings done first but life don't always cooperate. I'll post later how it does.

Array
    Status
    Earth, the Solar System
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    I'm on break. The cab was apparently moving a lot before I changed the mounts. Now it stays steady and only the bed moves if its loaded. The bench seat is still crap but it is a lot more comfortable to drive it now. I can't say it has any effect but it feels like it drives better going down the road. I expect the subtle cab movement that I ignored was having a negative effect I don't lean over while driving now. It is a definite improvement having the cab stay steady and level.