Array
    Status
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G63B

Montero 2 Piston Calipers on 1G question

So I started down the route of fitting Montero calipers to my build but I have run into some snags that I hope someone else has come to a solution with. 1G Ram 50 with OEM hubs and 1994 Montero Sport calipers is what I'm working with.
    First of all, when the caliper moves there is only about a eighth of a inch of movement before it comes into contact with the steering knuckle as shown with the red arrow, the spot that it contacts is shown with the blue circle.
    Also it becomes another issue because it will start to make contact with the steering boot if it goes much further, shown in yellow.
    IMG_20170830_213005.jpg
    My thoughts where to cut the bolt some more but there isn't much more that I can go before the bolt becomes unusable in the future.
    So then I thought I would shave some of the caliper off so the bolt could sit further down but that creates two problems. 1. The little slot that the boot fits into becomes to close to the mounting bracket and 2. its at risk for the bolt to bottom out in the hole.

I also was thinking, the thread I read where someone did this I think was using a second gen. Are the second gen hubs and steering knuckle different than first gens? is that my issue?

Any advice is hugely appreciated!!!

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    I think the issue is the Monty calipers are...huge. They will foul the stock wheels but I did look up Rahtids' thread. But I can't view his pictures properly as the sheer size of his images put my first attempts at posting pics to shame lol -

http://www.mightyram50.net/vbulletin...=2388#post2388

Bear in mind he is using Monty calipers on Gen 2 hubs and rotors.

Array
    Status
    Orlando, FL
    Vehicle

1990 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G64B
    Can you show a wider shot on that picture

Array
    Status
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G63B
    Do these work for you Rahtid? Appreciate you looking at this!
    IMG_20170831_094509.jpg
    IMG_20170831_094535.jpg
    IMG_20170831_094615.jpg

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    You need the gen 2 spindles or drop spindles for the Montero calipers - the mounting position is higher up for the clearance of the tie rods by the calipers.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G63B
    Quote Originally Posted by pennyman1 View Post
    You need the gen 2 spindles or drop spindles for the Montero calipers - the mounting position is higher up for the clearance of the tie rods by the calipers.
    So you're saying the 2g spindle/steering knuckle is slightly different than the 1g RWD? so would I need to use everything from a 2g suspension or just the spindles?

found some drop spindles but I wasn't planning on lowering the truck just yet but I guess I could do it sooner than expected. I'm assuming these will affect the ride height? Would I just install these to get a 2" drop or need to run lowering springs and different struts and such? http://www.streetbeatcustoms.com/Hot..._S_117/872314/

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Quote Originally Posted by Chyrio View Post
    So you're saying the 2g spindle/steering knuckle is slightly different than the 1g RWD? so would I need to use everything from a 2g suspension or just the spindles?
    The pivot points and wheel spindles are identical between the 1G and 2G assemblies with no change in ride height or steering geometry. Mitsubishi changed the locations of the brake caliper bolts so they are further away from the tie rod ends, thus allowing the bigger twin piston calipers from the Monteros to fit without fouling the tie rod steering ends (my bet is the Montero Sport and the 2G Mighty Max use the same part number for the steering hub). A PITA for you but the upside is that it's all nut and bolt swaps and everything you have already bought will work. Just need to get a pair of steering hubs minus all the hardware off a 2G.

Array
    Status
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G63B
    Quote Originally Posted by geezer101 View Post
    The pivot points and wheel spindles are identical between the 1G and 2G assemblies with no change in ride height or steering geometry. Mitsubishi changed the locations of the brake caliper bolts so they are further away from the tie rod ends, thus allowing the bigger twin piston calipers from the Monteros to fit without fouling the tie rod steering ends (my bet is the Montero Sport and the 2G Mighty Max use the same part number for the steering hub). A PITA for you but the upside is that it's all nut and bolt swaps and everything you have already bought will work. Just need to get a pair of steering hubs minus all the hardware off a 2G.
    Honestly I think I might go with the drop spindles and do a 2" drop in the rear. For the price it just makes sense since I eventually wanted to lower it a little anyways. What size wheel can you run with the montero calipers, would a 15" fit?

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    This is where it gets tricky. Drop spindles will alter the distance between the inside of the wheel to the control arms. It may actually pay to go for a bigger rim diameter (offset and width also plays a part in inside clearance)

Array
    Status
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G63B
    Quote Originally Posted by geezer101 View Post
    This is where it gets tricky. Drop spindles will alter the distance between the inside of the wheel to the control arms. It may actually pay to go for a bigger rim diameter (offset and width also plays a part in inside clearance)
    Hmm. I wanted to run these wheels, wagoneer I think? I'm pretty sure they are 15's.
    IMG_20170902_171328.jpg
    Can I run 15's if I used the 2g mm steering knuckles?

Array
    Status
    New Zealand
    Vehicle

1981 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

Other
    You could import some Chevoit Hotwires from NZ, they look almost identical and i have seen them on early pajeros (montero's)

I believe the wheel size on them is
    6 stud. 15" x 6 1/2" wide mag.
    22 mm Offset positive.

Theres one at a farm i sometimes go to for work, if im there again soon il measure the inside diameter of the wheel
    Last edited by tortron; 09-03-2017 at 10:19 PM.

Array
    Status
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G63B
    Quote Originally Posted by tortron View Post
    You could import some Chevoit Hotwires from NZ, they look almost identical and i have seen them on early pajeros (montero's)

I believe the wheel size on them is
    6 stud. 15" x 6 1/2" wide mag.
    22 mm Offset positive.

Theres one at a farm i sometimes go to for work, if im there again soon il measure the inside diameter of the wheel

Thanks dude! I mean I'll definitely take any info you got they do look good but that's a lot of money we are talking to ship them all the way out here. And I think the wagoneer wheels are 15x7 not sure the offset

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Quote Originally Posted by Chyrio View Post
    Hmm. I wanted to run these wheels, wagoneer I think? I'm pretty sure they are 15's.
    IMG_20170902_171328.jpg
    Can I run 15's if I used the 2g mm steering knuckles?
    They're the same offset and geometry as the Gen 1's. Oh those wheels are old school. And tortron is on the money with those wheels, they look a hell of a lot like Australian made Cheviots. They have been out of production for a long time. If you use stock Gen 2 spindles I think you can use 15" rims but judging by Rahtids' post you'll need to grind a little off the twin piston caliper.

Array
    Status
    New Zealand
    Vehicle

1981 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

Other
    OK, i just remembered i helped a guy out with his Pajero recently, so got him to measure his wheels. Waiting on the exact internal ID and clearance of the caliper, but he is running 1st gen SWB Pajero rims which are 15"

Array
    Status
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G63B
    Quote Originally Posted by tortron View Post
    OK, i just remembered i helped a guy out with his Pajero recently, so got him to measure his wheels. Waiting on the exact internal ID and clearance of the caliper, but he is running 1st gen SWB Pajero rims which are 15"
    I'm not to familiar with Pajeros since we don't have them here unfortunately. But the sport version has two piston calipers right?

Array
    Status
    New Zealand
    Vehicle

1981 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

Other
    Same as a Montero I believe, we just call them pajeros because we don't know what it sounds like in Spanish

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    Pajeros are Monteros in the US and Canadian markets. The Dodge name was Raider.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G63B
    hmm. Well I found this http://www.ebay.com/itm/Turbine-whee...56035#shpCntId
    I might just buy that one wheel for testing purposes.