Array
    Status
    Pukwana, SD
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

6G72

Gen 2 rocker panels

Spent most of last night looking for the Gen 2 ones not much luck, started again today finally had to search under MM to find any in stock anyplace could find them for Gen 1 but not Gen 2 trucks. Raybuck Auto had them in the US and Showcars Bodyparts had some listed in Canada.

Just a FYI Mill carried them before but they don't even list them now? I got 2 sets just to be safe and I have one out in the shed someplace and you can patch most trucks with one rocker if it's just the common seam problem.
    Last edited by Law Dog; 08-15-2017 at 12:25 PM.

Array
    Status
    New Zealand
    Vehicle

1981 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

Other
    There is a guy making them here in NZ

Array
    Status
    Pukwana, SD
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

6G72
    Shipping would be high but I was considering it a Mopar parts place had then listed of about $200 if you bought the pair but most time they don't even stock them it's just a run around. Sometimes they have the parts but often not it's like a lotto ticket.

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Quote Originally Posted by Law Dog View Post
    Shipping would be high but I was considering it a Mopar parts place had then listed of about $200 if you bought the pair but most time they don't even stock them it's just a run around. Sometimes they have the parts but often not it's like a lotto ticket.
    They have the part number listings and the retail price but don't check availability. Seems to happen a lot when you go hunting for older vehicles...

Array
    Status
    Pukwana, SD
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

6G72
    You might get 1 part out every 6-10 requests but what you get is gold, gaskets are tough because the shipping in nuts for a small gasket! No telling the rocker shipping would be.

Array
    Status
    New Zealand
    Vehicle

1981 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

Other
    you would be looking at $135 per sill (1200mm long) and $135 for shipping for two of them
    thats in NZD, so depending on the exchange rate it would be within the realms of affordability

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-...1391699262.htm

i have not seen the sills this guy makes, but people in my car club have used them for some other vehicles and were happy with them

he also does first gen ones
    http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-...1391699825.htm

Array
    Status
    Pukwana, SD
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

6G72
    Will see what I get here it was $125 for 4 with shipping so I hope they are usable!

Array
    Status
    Pukwana, SD
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

6G72
    So far so good no replies saying they are out of stock yet (2 days).

Array
    Status
    Pukwana, SD
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

6G72
    2 sets came today FedEx, they look to be of a good quality thickness of steel. Looks to be the rocker from the seam forward the old replacements were the whole length of the cab if I remember right, will need to find that old style one that's out in the shed.

Array
    Status
    Pukwana, SD
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

6G72
    Panels that I got fit the 79-86 models not sure how that happened but I'm screwed now! Back to looking again.

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    It's that transition in 86 that probably did it. Either way you have 2 Gen 1 rockers that won't be any good to you until you buy a D50 .

Array
    Status
    Pukwana, SD
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

6G72
    Well now I have 2 sets so it's 4 panels (gen I) I can't use now, LOL will search for the one I have that's the right one still have a few pieces left from another repair job I did on my extended cab 88 D 50!

If I find the right panel I might be able to have the Hutterites make me some patch panels them guys have skills here might be able to use them scrap pieces even.

Array
    Status
    Kendallville, IN
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Anyone ever find replacements? I'm going to try and modify the ones I got, they are close, but not right...

Array
    Status
    New Zealand
    Vehicle

1981 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

Other
    Amayama has mitsubishi strada 1991-1993 double cab sills (oem parts) available, I'd double check the years but I think that's the same bodytype as a 2nd gen. They are however $300 nzd a side

Amayama has a database of just about every parts warehouse in the world that has dusty old oem parts sitting on the shelves, I have gotten lots of random parts from them that you would never get at a junkyard etc, unfortunately no 1st or 2nd gen listed.

Otherwise
    https://youtu.be/7mEKuOR-93U
    The sill is a pretty basic shape to make up. A full sized sheet bender would about pay for itself on thes job

Array
    Status
    Pukwana, SD
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

6G72
    I bought a set years ago I still have a piece of one i found in the shop on a shelf I might see if I can find a metal guy that can reproduce that shape. Most of the ones I see that need replacing rust out at the seams in the middle so the whole rocker might be overkill really.

Array
    Status
    Pukwana, SD
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

6G72
    Picked my new 91 D50 V6 I was surprised the rockers were not rotted out like most D50 trucks I have seen in the past. This guys employee is from out East he as built race cars in the past, I’ll check if the guy could make up some rocker panel blanks. In the majority of cases I think a blank section would cover most repairs for rusty rocker seams say 2 maybe 3 foot sections. Will see what he can do I have a new leftover section he could use as a guide.

Array
    Status
    Pukwana, SD
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

6G72
    Found some factory rocker panels from the warehouse close out places on a web search they are about $250 for the rockers and $300 plus shipping. LOL

Array
    Status
    Pukwana, SD
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

6G72
    After seeing the common seams rust out areas on our type of trucks and how complex the shape is of the full replacement panels are made up of I was thinking of looking into getting some simple type patches made up. The bottom is a no-brained a simple edge and the upper part would be blended into the sill plate and welded in place before the patch became complicated.

just a idea I’m kicking around that I plan to look into this summer. I have a old scrap piece to use as a template so that’s a great help in the process. Thoughts on this? I doubt there is a huge market for this but it is a common issue among MM/D50 owners. The first generation rockers are going out of production also so that might be another avenue to explore to make it self a sustainable project.

Array
    Status
    Pukwana, SD
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

6G72
    Found a leftover rocker panel piece from a repair done several years ago when the 2nd gen rockers were still available not as complicated as I thought it would be to reproduce one., the wider the panel the more problems could arise in making a die for it. I ask around and see what the possibilities are to reproduce some useable repair patches for the 2nd gen trucks.
    Attached Images