Array
    Status
    clovis nm
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

Other

convertible diy

i am trying to make my truck in to a convertible either using a kit or on my own any advice

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    Aim industries used to make a kit for most minis - they are under chassis tech and other names now. Pull up their site and download the instructions for install to get a feel of what is involved with the process.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    Washington State
    Vehicle

1986 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    I was never fond of the convertible truck, but if you want, do it I think. I just would hate to think what would happen in a roll over accident without a helmet. That's when fire department shows up and has to use the hose to clean up, lol. Maybe a roll bar addition to save your life, but pad the crap out of it because they can split a head open also. Post pictures of your progress if you like.

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    After seeing the damage done to the wrecked truck I bought from a roll-over, I would recommend fitting a roll bar even without the convertible mod. The only thing that stopped the guys' head from decorating the cab was the flimsy pressed channel cargo tie down rail on the tray. There isn't a great deal of structural integrity in these truck cabs. Don't forget that the seat belt hangers are shoulder height so you'll need to fit harnesses if you cut the top off the cabin. It would look cool though if it was fully decked out...

Array
    Status
    Washington State
    Vehicle

1986 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    LOL Geezer.. now you have me thinking about reinforcing.

Here is an '88 Mits truck that was pulling a trailer of lawn equipment, as well as the back of the truck too. Some one cross there path and crashed into them and threw every bit of equipment out on the road. They were lucky and did survive with the 2 sitting in front seat. Truck was still running and sitting on roof.

2-15-11-roll-2.jpg

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    I am considering buying a used alloy bar from another truck and having it cut down so it'll fit into the tray of my Gen1. So at least if I am unfortunate enough to end up on my lid, I'll have something that will keep the rear of the cab section from collapsing. You don't see Gen 1's with a tray bar so I think it will be a nice bespoke touch. An aftermarket tilt up sunroof will act as a brace for the central section of the cab turret and they appear to be pretty reasonable price wise. Just a thought...

Array
    Status
    sheffield, vt
    Vehicle

1978 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G63B
    lowering center of gravity & widening the stance make it more difficult to rolloveri have the instructions & templates but they are for a 1st gen...release the clips, open the slider, jump in the bed & reach thru the slider to lift straight up, hard top fits under the tonneau conver. http://www.mightyram50.net/vbulletin...hp?albumid=303

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    OOC - how did you rig up belts in your truck RRTT? And that brochure - the full house of accessories with the rear bar, front nudge bar and the sunroof. Just mean

Array
    Status
    sheffield, vt
    Vehicle

1978 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G63B
    seatbelts are "lap belts" from rear of an old GM car....so far no inspection issues. there was a roll bar kit where the original equipment belt could mount to...I did not like the roll bar look on a rwd lowered truck.