Status
    Alberat
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B

Hello World, I exist!

Yeah another newbie here, sorta.

The truck listed in my profile is my second Mini-Ram, my first ever 4 wheeled vehicle was a 79 D50. The old school black and orange Harley-esque harlequin paint scheme.

I just bought the 89( Red in colour w/canopy) for $300 CAD and promptly doubled its value by buying a new ignition switch and door locks and a driver's side mirror, cause it was cheaper than buying the glass alone.

I mostly joined the forum looking for the answer to one question, and I hope some one else has a 79 D50 that can answer it.

What are the little rubber doodads poking through the hood for?

I always joked that they were mounts from the factory for the "High-speed optional hood wing" a smaller version of what could be found on top of dirt drifting sprint cars.

Anyway, I'll post pictures as I fix things on the new Mini-Ram, is mostly going to be simple tune up things unless I can find a really good quality carb transplant. Oh, and why did I buy a 20+ year old mini truck, I'll tell ya, to replace my POS 2014 Jeep Cherokee!

Array
    Status
    Earth, the Solar System
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    AFAIK nothing pokes through the hood on these things. Other guys know more than eye. Pics would help.

Array
    Status
    Alberat
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    I'm going to have to take a drive and hope the guy who collected the old thing hasn't scrapped it yet.

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Hi and welcome to mightyram. The hoods on every truck are sealed and flush so it appears someone has performed some kind of mod to it (the only different optioned hood with factory venting was fitted to the Australian made GH Sigma Turbo and I would really like to know how anyone would be able to get one outside of Australia). We need pics and it'll help us identify the what and how. It is ironic you would buy an obsolete truck that was considered a 'joke' by many to replace a way newer vehicle but Chrysler has long had some seriously bad problems that they refuse to deal with, leaving their customers burnt (in more ways than one...) The D50/Ram/MM trucks are tough beasts and if they are maintained properly can go above and beyond the call of duty (they've got quirks like most vehicles but forums like this one have got everything covered)

Array
    Status
    Alberat
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    My old 79 ate 3 of those 2.6 engines, am quite glad the engine of this truck is not the 2.6 also really glad it's a 5-speed stick and not that damned 3-speed auto.

My maintenance list on this truck is already an arm's length long, but I really don't want to fiddle with it too much it runs well enough and I don't want to screw that up. My biggest concern is fuel eating the seals. Also getting maintenance parts seems to be overly irritating, specifically higher quality oil filters.

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    use sta - bil marine ethanol formula to negate the ethanol fuel problems. Fram filters are bad, some say Wix are too - I have used Castrol with no issues.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    Earth, the Solar System
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    Napa auto parts top quality filter works well for me. IDK if they have Napa in Alberta. Rock Auto is a good online site for parts http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/d...il+filter,5340

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    The oil filter on the G63B engine in the D50/MM is the same as the filters used on Mitsubishi Lancers. Here are the specs on the filter -

Seam Diameter87.00mm
    Overall Height100.00mm
    Seal Outside Diameter66.00mm
    ThreadM20-x1.5-6H

If you use the above specs but source an alternative filter with a height greater than 100mm you'll end up with a filter with a bigger filtering capacity. Anything that prolongs the life of the oil will help. I don't know if they are available in the US but I have always used RYCO oil filters and I've never had a problem with them.