Thread: Will a shifter tell you what trans you have?

Array
    Status
    Pukwana, SD
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

6G72

Will a shifter tell you what trans you have?

I have 2 88 D50s and each one has a different shifter one is long and the other shorter shafted? Some wiring also is different coming out of the trannys? I need to get the right pilot bearing and want to make sure I'm getting it for the right model the last pro's that worked on the trans were idiots and I doubt I got 2 years use so what bearing they put in there might of been wrong.

If the trans has been changed then ordering by year and model won't help so I need to identify what style I'm dealing with.

Transfer case shifters and 5 speed shifter different lengths pic of the 2 transfer case shifters?
    shifters TC.jpg

Array
    Status
    Pukwana, SD
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

6G72
    Am thinking the short or long shaft T/Cs must go with those individual trannys for the shift rods to line up? I got the rebuilt tranny in today and it works sweet but the untested T/C only has 2 positions 2H and 4H I will need to look into it tomorrow and see what's up with it. I have a good T/C on the other trans but it's a longer shifter.

Always something!

Array
    Status
    Pukwana, SD
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

6G72
    Looks like the shifter plate towers must be different on the shifter heights, the shaft has to be in the same place to go into the tranny I was thinking last night. Pulled the old tranny/ T/C apart the space in front of the T/C looked like it had a silver butter of metal shavings like a paste/glitter. Went to pull the truck into the garage and messed with the transfer case and got it working must of just needed to sit in some lube overnight. Thank God I did not tear it down again for nothing, I needed to separate the old set up anyways to get the trans worked on.

Array
    Status
    Earth - California
    Vehicle

1988 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G54B
    I have the exact same transfer and speed shifters. The transmission on my 4x4 1988 MM is the KM-145.

Array
    Status
    Pukwana, SD
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

6G72
    I looked at the top plates the shifters bolt onto and one is taller then the other so I will try to figure out what gives I do know one truck had a bench and the other had buckets so maybe this allows for the correct shifter height. Could be the 1st generation shifters are shorter also anybody have any other input jump in?