Thread: 4th gear not dropping into place fully!

Array
    Status
    Pukwana, SD
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

6G72

4th gear not dropping into place fully!

Just pulled the tranny out of my 88 D50 2.6 for the 3rd time, had a trans shop rebuild it a couple of years ago almost $1,200 so I expected it to be right! I dropped off the trans and it sat there for a year and I called and had to refresh their memory and help them identify my trans, 2 months later and several calls later they call and it's done. Pick it up and put it in, no first or reverse just a total mess.
    I get the truck down to the shop 60 miles away and they work on it and say it's ready now. so I drive it and it's noisy still and the 4th gear barely goes into place seems to hang on the edge and not dropping into place like it should. I needed the truck so I had to drive it for 6 months then like I figured the 4th gear is not holding now and of course it's still noisy. Not sure if the transfer case is making the noise or they never put new bearing in the trans at the rebuild time.

My question is can a guy adjust the 4th gear cluster or shift rods to fix this rather then taking it into another trans shop and paying more for a adjustment?

Array
    Status
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Chevy V6
    Going into gear, or just barely. The cause is normally the Nylon ball cap on the shifter being warn out. Pull the shifter and look at the white thing around the shifter ball. It's most likely broken into peaces and gone.

Now when you say noisy. Have you checked the oil in everything? There is 3 places to check and fill on the 4Wd if I remember correctly. Or at least 2. The trans, the transfer case gear set and the chain area.
    Members come and members go, But the board keeps track of them.
    Find me on FaceBook
    clicking HERE.

Or look on YouTube Click Here.
    http://mobilemillwright.com

Array
    Status
    Pukwana, SD
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

6G72
    It's a newer install trans after the rebuild 2 years ago I was thinking a shim issue the bushing is new I just looked at it the other day when I pulled the trans it was intact it was good before they rebuild it, just needed syncros then but elected to overhaul it. Filled everything when I built the truck on top of a new frame that I put under it! Went through the trans/transfer case and both differentials with new seals and gear lube.

Never seemed right it lacked the "drop in" 4th gear feeling it should of had, not sure if the cluster needs shimming or if a guy can get any adjustment out of the shifter shafts in any way?

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    Is this a 4 spd or 5spd - on a 5spd the 4th gear is straight through the tranny - no gears used. I think the 4spd 4th is the same.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    Pukwana, SD
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

6G72
    It's a 5 speed it's only been this way since that place "rebuilt" it, never had this issue before then

Array
    Status
    Pukwana, SD
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

6G72
    Looked closer at the tranny today I pulled out (noisy one) looks like the pilot bearing is shot flops like a fish! Just rebuilt a couple of years ago just ticks me off paying $1,200 for a rebuilt they can't get it right. Only use it locally 6 months a year 50 miles is the furthest I go for 6 weeks of cat season the most normal area is a 20 mile loop. I drive my 2wd until the weather turns bad and in the summer months so it's maybe got a little over 2 years use on it.

Will pop in the spare tranny that was rebuilt by another place and see how that goes and order parts for the old one.