Array
    Status
    San Francisco, CA
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

I.D.K.?

oil in EGR...??!

So, on the advice of some on the internet, and in person, I wanted to check the functionality of the EGR valve on my newly acquired '88 2.0 Ram 50. I took it off expecting to see carbon build up, hoping that would be the cause of my 'gross poluter' status, due to very high (over 2400) NOx emissions. Instead, I found that it was dripping oil from the top port (I really wish I'd thought to take a picture) and the 'oil' smelled a bit like gasoline.
    Has anyone out there seen or heard of this?
    Thanks for any advice or ideas about an oily EGR...or how to lower these emissions (I've replaced the catalytic converter with a CA certified one, and replaced the O2 sensor and put in a bottle of 108 octain booster).

Array
    Status
    Earth, the Solar System
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    IDK from the EGR but I do know that you should always have new oil and new filter, new plugs, cap, rotor when you go in for a Ca. smog on an old vehicle. And I mean just changed and drove straight to the SMOG station new.
    Here's a link to a guy in Richmond; http://www.mightyram50.net/vbulletin...rnia+emissions
    He says he'll help IDK if he's still around.

Oh Yea Welcome.
    Last edited by 85Ram50; 07-24-2017 at 11:00 AM.

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    Yes Noahwins is still around and loves these trucks - he can help you with your issues.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    San Francisco, CA
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

I.D.K.?
    Thanks '85'. I'll definitley contact the guy in richmond that you linked to. seems like a pretty straight shooter, from what i read.
    I will do the tune ups that you mentioned before i take it in for smog again, but i need to figure out some of the other issues first...

Array
    Status
    San Francisco, CA
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

I.D.K.?
    Thanks '85'. I'll definitley contact the guy in richmond that you linked to. seems like a pretty straight shooter, from what i read.
    I will do the tune ups that you mentioned before i take it in for smog again, but i need to figure out some of the other issues first...