Thread: Tiny Switch On Back Of Dash Cluster with Wires And Fix for Dash Lights Not working..

Array
    Status
    VA
    Vehicle

1988 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G54B

Tiny Switch On Back Of Dash Cluster with Wires And Fix for Dash Lights Not working..

Hi All I am trouble shooting a dash light issue where none of the lights that provide illumination are working... so I took the dash apart to trouble shoot and I notice a time switch with a wire running from it and down inside the cluster... anyone know what that switch is?

I think my fix for the dash lights not working will be to get one of those ashtray lights and power that bulb using the light for the cigar lighter light... any one see that fix as a problematic?

Array
    Status
    Pukwana, SD
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

6G72
    A shut off for your check engine light that comes on at set miles it built into the speedo some how.

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Check the dimmer switch is connected/working. Check that the parking lights on your truck are working as well - the instrument and parking lights all run from the same circuit. All the dash lights run from the same circuit - get your hands on a cheap pocket multimeter and check the connections. There's probably one that is disconnected. I would really recommend you find the fault with the instrument lights as running bypasses and sourcing power from other circuits will invite unexpected gremlins into the wiring. There is an engine service light on the instrument panel - the switch might be the reset switch for the service light (?)

Array
    Status
    VA
    Vehicle

Engine

G54B
    Thanks gang for the information, Yes we checked every but we could not find the ground. I am selling this truck since I was able to get a 4x4 and I did not know the dash lights were not working until I dove it at night to put fuel in it. Now that I notice it I am trying to fix it before giving it to the new owner and was trying to look for a quick fixs for those two main bulbs. So with the dash out I was hoping that I could tap into the wires that get power when you turn on the light switch and a ground... so I don't want to introduce gremlins into the works but I need a quick solution or am going to abort the sale. My conscience will not allow me to sell im the truck with out some sort of dash illumination. Thanks guys

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    This is only my opinion but don't start running bridges across the wiring to fix a problem. This will at the end of the day be a minor fault to fix and butchering the wiring under the dash creates one problem to fix another one. If you've ever looked under the factory wiring loom of a car that someone has messed with under the dash you'll know what I'm talking about. Worst case scenario is come clean and let the buyer know that there is a minor fault you weren't able to nail down.

Array
    Status
    VA
    Vehicle

Engine

G54B

Thanks!

Thank you for the advice.. I will do what you have suggested an maybe know off a 100 bucks from the asking price.
    Take care.

Quote Originally Posted by geezer101 View Post
    This is only my opinion but don't start running bridges across the wiring to fix a problem. This will at the end of the day be a minor fault to fix and butchering the wiring under the dash creates one problem to fix another one. If you've ever looked under the factory wiring loom of a car that someone has messed with under the dash you'll know what I'm talking about. Worst case scenario is come clean and let the buyer know that there is a minor fault you weren't able to nail down.

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    I know this sounds bad, but did you check the bulbs and clean the places on the back of the cluster where the bulb sockets contact the circuit board? Also look at the circuit board for bad solder joints or cracked traces.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    VA
    Vehicle

Engine

G54B
    I have a bulb out... my friend did a check with his circuit tester and his volt meter and the board get power when you turn the lights on wand.
    That truck has been great but each time I talk about selling it... some odd like this happens.. I guess it does not want to be sold. I make take the dash out of the 4x4 just to see if it lights up... if it does I can show the buyer can he can know that all he has to do is find a new dash cluster...

Array
    Status
    Valley Forge Pa
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G64B
    The little switch if I remember was to reset the emission lite that would come on at a certain mileage after emission maintenance was performed IIRC.