Array
    Status
    Pukwana, SD
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

6G72

2.5 Ford Ranger motor in a D50?

Looks like it would fit in it just with some rough measurements the Range mounts look promising too angle wise. That 2.5 with fuel injection scoots pretty good and the trans has a cable so I'm thinking of giving it a shot.

Anybody ever attempt this before any advice? I have a motor and tranny off of a wreck that are both good so it's a low cost venture if I go that way.

Any advice or ideas?

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Take the tailshaft so you can build a shaft from the 2 different assemblies. Dummy the drivetrain in place and measure the differences in mounting points (get the Ranger mounts - you may get lucky and only need to make minor mods to adapt them). Get the ECU and wiring loom from the Ranger (take EVERYTHING - relays, coil packs, fuel pump, sensors etc) It will save some headaches during the process. Also take pictures and mark all the connections clearly with tape labels. You will need to come up with some lateral thinking to get around some issues unique to the swap (throttle cable, speedo cable and calibration etc) Nothing that hasn't been done before but it will be a learning process.

Array
    Status
    Pukwana, SD
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

6G72
    I have everything I need bought a wrecked 2000 Ranger (front end is toast) I picked it up for the bed for my Mazda B2500 and the rest is good and I found a 88 D50 2WD that has a blown head gasket so I could do it on the cheap but I have a 2.6 in the machine shop that will be done soon so I have options. Just not sure I want to tackle that big of project when I could drop the 2.6 right in and go?

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    If the D50 had a 2.6 in it then it's a no-brainer. Getting the injected 2.5 into your truck is lot of work for something different but then you will have 'something different' to show for it. If the 4G54 is going through the machine shop now is the time to get everything tweaked for extra performance.

Array
    Status
    Pukwana, SD
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

6G72
    How much of the wiring do I need to pull I have everything up to the fuse box (out of the engine comp) do I need more then that should I pull the fuse box too ?

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    I would pull everything - that way you have the entire wiring loom in front of you and it will make it more straight forward in isolating what you need to get the ECU operational.

Array
    Status
    New Zealand
    Vehicle

1981 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

Other
    In my truck it's everything but the body loom. Which was left original. So yeah get everything. Better to have it complete and then be able to get rid of stuff you don't need later

Array
    Status
    Pukwana, SD
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

6G72
    Pulled the engine compartment looms up to the fuse box plugs (2) they plug into the firewall right at the fuse box will pull the fuse box in the morning. Pulled the drive shaft and will cut the exhaust off also for the header and the converter.