Array
    Status
    FRESNO CALIFORNIA
    Vehicle

1991 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64

new member from cali

whats up everyone i'm a new member but not new to this and previous forums like this one. thought id post my truck and some of the problems that are driving me crazy.

i have a 1991 MM single cab, 2.4L 4g64 in y59 San Marino Yellow. here's some pics from over the years.

first day compared to bagged front on lincolns.jpgmits in front of parents barely running may 30 2017.jpg
    last year my camshaft sheared in half between cylinder 2 and 3 driving home on the freeway. Since then ive installed a new camshaft but the truck continues to misfire and run shitty. good compression, spark, timing (checked a million times) but i did notice a wet exhaust valve on cylinder one when i removed the manifold and when i disconnect the fuel injector plug for cyl #1 i dont hear the engine get worse. replaced the injector but problem persists?!?!? id like to check ground pulse from ecu or maybe this is a common problem among 2g fuel injected trucks?
    snapped camshaft on towel.jpgthanks for the help and thanks for having me!

Array
    Status
    Maurertown, Virginia
    Vehicle

1990 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64
    Welcome to the forum, Mits187.

I'm not sure what to suggest- if compression is good, then a warped or bent valve doesn't seem to be the problem. I'm thinking surely SOMETHING got hurt when the cam shaft sheered, but your report indicates everything's fine.

So, I just wanted to put out the welcome mat for you. Someone who has brain cells will come along and make a sane suggestion, I'm sure
    Last edited by royster; 07-02-2017 at 02:47 PM.
    The greatest gift you have to give to the world is that of your own self~transformation.

Array
    Status
    FRESNO CALIFORNIA
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    Thank you royster. Ive told myself the same thing, either something got hurt when the cam sheered or something caused the cam to sheer or a combination of both is causing me problems. I havent been able to do a leak down i need to fix my compressor (thanks to my k9's) and buy a kit. If i have to ill start a seperate thread and start over with my diagnostics in the appropriate area. Thanks for the warm welcome royster!

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Hi and welcome to mightyram. Considering the damage done when the cam froze I would have a tendency to look at the valve train from where the cam broke (#3 and #4 cylinders) as they were not timed when the cam failed. Also for the cam to break like that takes a lot of stress. I would have a good look at the head (yeah, it'll have to be removed...) to see what damage was done to the cam journals from oil deprivation. This will also give you a chance to look at the tops of the pistons for damage. Where there any other issues as the cam failed (overheating, oil pressure drop etc)? It will give you a few clues to what went down.

Array
    Status
    Washington State
    Vehicle

1986 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    Welcome to the forum

Array
    Status
    FRESNO CALIFORNIA
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    Thanks geezer101 I was really trying to avoid pulling the head (again!) but your right i need to pull it and check the head valves valve seats pistons etc. The cam snapped randomly doing about 70mph not gassing it, running cool, not sure about the oil pressure at the time however. Time for me to suck it up and buy some head bolts. Thanks for the advice geezer101.

Thanks! @ BradMph

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    If the running didn't change with the #1 injector disconnected, there may be ECM issues as well. Pull the ECM from the kick panel on the passenger's side and look for leaking capacitors. There may be other damage from the sheared cam, such as bent jet valves, that could be working against you causing poor performance.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    Maurertown, Virginia
    Vehicle

1990 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64
    A 4G64 wouldn't have jet valves. But I think Mits187 is in for taking off the head and scrutinizing things anyway. The ECU check might be the best place to start.
    The greatest gift you have to give to the world is that of your own self~transformation.

Array
    Status
    FRESNO CALIFORNIA
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    thanks for the replies! Before i do remove the head is there a special way to get into the computer (is it sealed, etc) to check capacitors or is it straight forward?

Array
    Status
    Columbus, OH
    Vehicle

1992 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

Other
    Phillips screws...

Array
    Status
    Maurertown, Virginia
    Vehicle

1990 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64
    It should be behind the passenger kick plate...sort of a bitch to get to. Removing the glove box will be helpful...it pops out pretty easy (the glove box). Also, there is a place in Florida that rebuilds the ECU for around $150.00. The address is somewhere on the forum, do a search and you should find it.

Best of luck, Mits187!!