Array
    Status
    Earth - California
    Vehicle

1988 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G54B

Question How to disassemble shifter?

I removed the shifter by heating it with a heat gun, if anyone is wondering how I removed it. I think it was held in with superglue? The black rubber cone is next to come off. The only problem is, I can't remove it. It's kicking my butt! The rubber piece has a metal tube in the middle that looks like it is crimped, judging by the flat sides. Is this the case?

Shifter.jpg

Array
    Status
    Earth - California
    Vehicle

Engine

G54B

Disassembling Shifter

Update: I figured it out.

The rubber piece has a metal tube in the middle that looks like it is crimped, judging by the flat sides. Is this the case?
    This is indeed the case. The rubber cone is glued on to the small bushing which is crimped on to the shifter itself.

The only thing holding the rubber cone to the crimped bushing is glue, it can easily be removed by heating it up slowly with heat. It will come off, be patient. Sometimes it won't come off with heat, simply pry it of little by little around the circumference of the rubber piece until it is off. A thin blade works great for this.
    20170705_113831.jpg
    20170705_113631.jpg

The crimped bushing will have to be carefully cut off with a file, hacksaw, grinder, etc...
    20170705_112504.jpg
    20170705_112455.jpg

I used a metal file to file down the bushing thin enough to chisel apart with a metal chisel. You can also remove the crimped bushing by filing on two sides of the bushing 180° apart from each other until each side is thin enough to cut with a metal chisel. It will come off in two pieces.
    20170705_114800.jpg
    20170705_122636.jpg
    20170705_123348.jpg

With the crimped bushing now off, the rest can easily be disassembled. If any questions arise, don't hesitate to contact me.
    Last edited by BJH324JH; 07-29-2017 at 01:16 AM.

Array
    Status
    Pukwana, SD
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

6G72
    Thanks I need to change the bolt down plate on my transfer case shifter and It was giving me fits getting it apart. I just looked it over then put it in the vice and got no place and put it away until next time! LOL glad you were brave!

Thanks

Array
    Status
    Earth - California
    Vehicle

Engine

G54B
    Quote Originally Posted by Law Dog View Post
    Thanks I need to change the bolt down plate on my transfer case shifter and It was giving me fits getting it apart. I just looked it over then put it in the vice and got no place and put it away until next time! LOL glad you were brave!

Thanks
    It isn't difficult to remove, it's just time consuming. I would recommend using hand tools. They give you an enormous amount of control that it is nearly impossible to screw up the shifter. A file, chisel, and hammer is all you need to get the job done. No fancy million dollar equipment is needed, just need a little patience is all. Ask for help if you need it and I will help as soon as I can.

Array
    Status
    Pukwana, SD
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

6G72
    Thanks I nicked a knuckle cutting the old plate the other day with my cutoff air tool will try the slow and steady this time!
    Thanks for posting.

Array
    Status
    Pukwana, SD
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

6G72
    shifter james.jpg
    Buddy pressed the pin out of this T/C shifter to put a new plate on it!

Array
    Status
    Pukwana, SD
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

6G72
    Quote Originally Posted by Law Dog View Post
    shifter james.jpg
    Buddy pressed the pin out of this T/C shifter to put a new plate on it!
    He came over tonight said he could not get past the metal washer above the ball (Pretty sure I told him that) but he did the heat and remove like stated above to get it apart mine has a snap ring on it no dent.