Array
    Status
    Vanessa, Ontario
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B

Engine And Tranny Swap

I'm getting ready to pull the old 2.6 and auto trans out of my '88. I'd like to pull them out together and would like to know if anyone knows where the best place to hook on to the engine is.

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    There are meant to be 2 lifting brackets on the head - one on the forward exhaust manifold stud and the other on the rear inlet manifold stud. They're steel brackets with a hole through them. Tip - if you're using an engine lifter get your hands on an old seat belt (middle seat lap belt preferably with the anchor buckles). They come in handy for hoisting an engine and are more than strong enough to lift an entire drivetrain.

Array
    Status
    Vanessa, Ontario
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Thanks geezer101. I am going to assume that the brackets were removed long before I got the truck, but from the way you describe them they shouldn't be too difficult to make. A couple of elliptical pieces of 10 gauge steel with a bolt hole at the narrow end and a hole big enough for a hook at the wide end? As long as the head and studs can take the weight of the engine and transmission.

Array
    Status
    WA
    Vehicle

1989 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G63-T
    When I pulled my g63b out I pulled engine and trans in piece from that lifting point. Used the equalizer bar and a cheap engine hoist. Lol

Array
    Status
    Vanessa, Ontario
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    I assume the equalizer bar allows you to tip the load as required to clear the rad support. Did you buy a bar or make one?

Array
    Status
    WA
    Vehicle

1989 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G63-T
    Bought one.

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy 2 View Post
    Thanks geezer101. I am going to assume that the brackets were removed long before I got the truck, but from the way you describe them they shouldn't be too difficult to make. A couple of elliptical pieces of 10 gauge steel with a bolt hole at the narrow end and a hole big enough for a hook at the wide end? As long as the head and studs can take the weight of the engine and transmission.
    This is one of the advantages of the middle seat belt - you can put the mounting anchors straight onto the studs, add a flat washer to it and use the manifold nuts. And yes, they are strong enough to lift the entire drivetrain out as this is the method used as a rule of thumb.

Array
    Status
    Vanessa, Ontario
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Having bucket seats puts me at a bit of a disadvantage with respect to a middle seat belt. I will make a couple of lifting lugs and a lifting beam at work from some off cuts.

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy 2 View Post
    Having bucket seats puts me at a bit of a disadvantage with respect to a middle seat belt. I will make a couple of lifting lugs and a lifting beam at work from some off cuts.
    JY's are your friend - it's not even legal to sell used belts in Australia, they either give them away or not at all.