Array
    Status
    St. Augustine Florida
    Vehicle

1989 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B

Block swap! 63b to 63t!

Hi guys! Long time reader first time poster. So, my head gasket blew, and the block is scored in the cylinders. I have a block for a 91 tsi, and I want to do something dumb. What would it take to use just the block from the tsi? Like how similar are the two blocks? Can I use everything from the truck? I.e. Alternator, front cover, clutch, flywheel? I am on a budget and the block I have is mint. I don't mind spending a little extra to tune the carb as I know the compression will be lower. But if these blocks are of the "same mold" I don't see why a simple swap like this wouldn't work.

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    There are a couple of things to check first - are you only using the turbo block or the entire bottom end assembly? Using the block won't alter CR's but the turbo pistons will be dished to lower compression slightly. I've got a feeling there's differences between the locator dowels and oil passages (and there was a change in head bolt diameters as well) but the years are close so I think you're safe on that. Belt locations are the same. If the turbo block is from a FWD, are there bolt holes on the side of the block around the area between where the exhaust manifold and water pump is? (appears to be the only cosmetic difference except some of the castings on the balance shaft housings) You could fit a FWD power steering pump to it if you use the FWD water pump, modify it and add the low profile pulleys for the belt.