Array
    Status
    San Francisco, CA
    Vehicle

1984 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4D55-T

Replacing lock bolts on the rear wheels for a 1st gen

I was bemused to discover that the shop didn't properly tighten the nuts one of the rear wheel of my 1984 D50 this afternoon (after hearing the hub cap clinking a bit). When removing the wheels, one of the nut, which was incorrectly tightened by the shop, sheared off.

I'm looking through the FSM and it's not entirely clear if and how I can replace just one of those bolts.

Any tips on how to do handle this?

Array
    Status
    Earth - California
    Vehicle

1988 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G54B
    First, get compensated from the shop you went to. Second, tell us the shop you went to so we can avoid it.

Array
    Status
    San Francisco, CA
    Vehicle

1984 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4D55-T
    Quote Originally Posted by BJH324JH View Post
    First, get compensated from the shop you went to. Second, tell us the shop you went to so we can avoid it.
    Without good proof, I don't have the energy to bicker with the shop about it for the bolt. I'll likely just avoid them in the future.

Array
    Status
    New Zealand
    Vehicle

1981 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

Other
    Hi
    are you saying that one of the wheel studs have broken?

They are a pressfit from the rear. you will need to press it out from the front (road side) and press a new one in from the rear (axle side). Lots of instructional vids online to diy

Array
    Status
    San Francisco, CA
    Vehicle

1984 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4D55-T
    Quote Originally Posted by tortron View Post
    Hi
    are you saying that one of the wheel studs have broken?

They are a pressfit from the rear. you will need to press it out from the front (road side) and press a new one in from the rear (axle side). Lots of instructional vids online to diy
    You're right, it's a wheel stud. I always forget the proper terms. My main concern is that I'm not entirely sure how to work with these real wheels and their drum breaks in a fast and easy way. The disc brake assembly on the front-end is much more familiar to me.

Array
    Status
    Earth - California
    Vehicle

Engine

G54B
    Quote Originally Posted by frankwrench View Post
    You're right, it's a wheel stud. I always forget the proper terms. My main concern is that I'm not entirely sure how to work with these real wheels and their drum breaks in a fast and easy way. The disc brake assembly on the front-end is much more familiar to me.
    The wheel studs can be found on rockauto. Drum brakes aren't all that complicated, they are just tedious to work with. If you need any help just ask.

Array
    Status
    San Francisco, CA
    Vehicle

1984 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4D55-T
    Well, it turns out to be a *lot* easier than I anticipated. After doing a hot-take, remembering how drum brakes work, I disengaged the parking brake and the drum came right off. Luckily the brake assembly inside the drum has a few open areas to pound the old wheel stud out and thread a new one through.

I purchased this wheel stud (http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...0275/02990.oap) which have a little bevel before the threading which appears to press against the inside of the drum preventing a completely flush press. I think tomorrow I'm going to buy enough to re-do the entire back two wheels just to have everything sit nice and even.

Array
    Status
    Earth - California
    Vehicle

Engine

G54B
    Quote Originally Posted by frankwrench View Post
    Well, it turns out to be a *lot* easier than I anticipated. After doing a hot-take, remembering how drum brakes work, I disengaged the parking brake and the drum came right off. Luckily the brake assembly inside the drum has a few open areas to pound the old wheel stud out and thread a new one through.

I purchased this wheel stud (http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...0275/02990.oap) which have a little bevel before the threading which appears to press against the inside of the drum preventing a completely flush press. I think tomorrow I'm going to buy enough to re-do the entire back two wheels just to have everything sit nice and even.
    96445e93e09740da536fb8c85af7aec21dcbbc067fbf545f88113f962059404b.jpg

Array
    Status
    San Francisco, CA
    Vehicle

1984 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4D55-T
    Went ahead and replaced the rear 12 wheel studs, it was easier than I anticipated after picking up some tips from a number of youtube videos, like this https://youtu.be/rjMCvzvZ0us?t=355

Hoorah!

35129787402_a158719b64_o.jpg