Status
    ID
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G63

Seized Engine

Hi Guys,

I let the boy use the truck and he somehow ran it out of oil and seized the engine (seriously, how does one actually do that?). I put a breaker bar on the crank and it broke free quite easily and I was able to turn it by hand. I hit it with the starter (no plugs) and it made a god awful grind. I checked the crank and it was stuck again, but again it broke free very easily. Anyway, I'm figuring a rebuild is in order.

Since I've never been that deep into an engine I'm feeling a bit unsure about this. Any advice and suggestions you can offer would be appreciated.

It's a 98 2L with a 100K on it.

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Nice work from your son there I'll bet the damage will be #1 big end and bottom/main journals (the 4G63 has an inherent oiling issue at the front of the block). Also your cylinder head has probably taken a beating as well. Couple of options - get a running engine from a wreck (will save you time and cash) You won't know how badly damaged the engine is until you pull it down but factor in the crank being repaired, a possible oil pump replacement, scoring on the bores depending on what happened when it was starved of oil and a cylinder head recon as most oil burn/loss issues are from bad valves and stem seals. If you decide to take the plunge it would be a good time to think about performing a balance shaft delete. If the bores aren't wrecked you could get away with a light hone and new rings but the bottom end and cylinder head will still need attending.

Array
    Status
    ID
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G63
    Thanks, I think I will check for engines in the area first. We'll see what happens.

Array
    Status
    ID
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G63
    I hit one of the junkyards today and found 2 prospect engines. Both were Mighty Max and I believe 2L engines.

How can I determine if the engines are in fact compatible with mine?

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    If they're both manual trans mounted engines and are 4G63 2 litre engines, it's all nuts and bolts.

Array
    Status
    ID
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G63
    Is there a way to identify the 4G63? The door tags weren't helpful.

Array
    Status
    Owensboro, KY
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4D56-T
    The engine code should be listed on the tag on the firewall. It'll be on the passenger side up towards the top of the firewall under the hood.

Array
    Status
    ID
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G63
    Doh! I should have known that.

Thanks.

Array
    Status
    ID
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G63
    It's a bit of a story but bear with me.

The first thing I wanted to do was pull the starter. The nasty grind it made just made me suspicious. So I pulled it and inspected the flywheel while I turned the engine. It looked ok, and since I was going to tear down the engine, I just left the starter off. It would be easier to install from above anyway.

Today I started the tear down. After I got the intake manifold off I was staring into the empty space below it that I never get to see. I glanced over at the flywheel and thought, is that a shiny spot? So I got the light on it and nope, nothing there, flywheel looks good. Then off to the side something catches my eye. Is that the porous surface of broken metal? Well, yes, yes it is. I reached down to fish it out and it's the nose cone from the starter! Broke clean off. So I go look at the starter and can't believe I didn't see that.

So now the boy's story makes a little more sense. While he did run it low on oil, it didn't seize, it just had a blockage. It also makes sense since I was able to free it very easily and it otherwise turned just fine.

Now, just in case I'm being stupid, is there any real reason to continue with the tear down?

Array
    Status
    Owensboro, KY
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4D56-T
    If you have reason to believe that all of the bearings are OK then you're probably fine where you are. I'd at least pull the oil pan and make sure there's not any metal bits from bearings trying to eat themselves.

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    It would have to have been a brutal engine seize-up to make the engine do anything other than squeal (the 'normal' sound of a bearing overheating and failing). Easy way to test the theory - replace the starter. You need to replace it anyway. If you get the green light and it lives, perform an engine oil flush. The last remaining dregs of oil will be heavily contaminated and the oil flush will free up lifters and generally improve the health of your engine - http://www.mightyram50.net/vbulletin...ll=1#post49688

Array
    Status
    ID
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G63
    Quote Originally Posted by dancinggecko View Post
    If you have reason to believe that all of the bearings are OK then you're probably fine where you are. I'd at least pull the oil pan and make sure there's not any metal bits from bearings trying to eat themselves.

That's a very good idea!

Array
    Status
    ID
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G63
    Geezer, that's the way I was looking at it.

Array
    Status
    ID
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G63
    I started reassembly today, still got a ways to go but I have another question.

According to my Haynes manual the top sprocket should NOT align directly with the mark on the head. It says the sprocket should be advanced by 2 teeth. Does that make sense to anyone?

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    err, no that doesn't compute. The alignment mark on the cam sprocket should line up with the marker lobe cast into the edge of the cam surround on the head. You get it wrong, it won't fire. You get it REALLY wrong, you could munch valves.

Array
    Status
    ID
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G63
    Quote Originally Posted by geezer101 View Post
    err, no that doesn't compute. The alignment mark on the cam sprocket should line up with the marker lobe cast into the edge of the cam surround on the head. You get it wrong, it won't fire. You get it REALLY wrong, you could munch valves.
    Yep, that's why I asked.

But I looked at the manual again and apparently it's only saying to advance the engine to that mark to adjust the belt tension. Apparently that position works best. But the diagram confused the hell out of me.

It's all back together and tomorrow I will attempt to fire it up.

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Good luck!

Array
    Status
    Columbus, OH
    Vehicle

1992 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

Other
    Properly aligned... with Belt tension set...No Balance shafts so I didn't have to deal with that...

engine assy cam timing 2.jpg

Array
    Status
    ID
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G63
    Well, all is not perfect.

It fired right up, but it's smoking and the engine has a mild rattle.

I guess I'm back to rebuild/replace.

Array
    Status
    ID
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G63
    Hi again.

Does anybody know where I can get a set of rods for my 2L?

Array
    Status
    Tampa, FL
    Vehicle

1995 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G64B
    Any 4g63 or 4g64 (6 bolt crank) rods you can find should work. That's not specific to trucks, eclipses, galants and whatever else has those engines. You should be able to find them pretty cheap. Rockauto or eBay will have the rods.

Array
    Status
    Tampa, FL
    Vehicle

1995 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G64B
    I was wrong about Rockauto, they don't have the rods.

Array
    Status
    ID
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G63
    Quote Originally Posted by silverjoel View Post
    Any 4g63 or 4g64 (6 bolt crank) rods you can find should work. That's not specific to trucks, eclipses, galants and whatever else has those engines. You should be able to find them pretty cheap. Rockauto or eBay will have the rods.
    I pretty much came to that conclusion on my own. But as you found out, RA doesn't list them for the 2.0. However, they do list them for the 2.6. And what little I did find on them is that they are the same rod.

I was hoping someone here could give me some confirmation.

Array
    Status
    Pukwana, SD
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

6G72
    Find the old part number and type it in a web search and you will find options!

Array
    Status
    ID
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G63
    Yeah, well, I don't have the part in my hand just yet.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast