Array
    Status
    Earth - California
    Vehicle

1988 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G54B

Question Just Pulled out the Transmission

I finally got the courage to pull out the transmission/transfer case to replace the gaskets(leaking). While the transmission is out, is there any other things I should get done before trying to put it back in. Any tips would greatly be appreciated.

I'm so tempted to rebuild the transmission and transfer case, but there isn't anything in the manual about rebuilding the transmission/transfer case. The transmission/transfer case works fine, it's just that it took me days(NEWB) to remove the transmission/transfer case and I feel a rebuild is worth it after more than two decades of service. Is there a KM-145 transmission rebuild manual out there in this world?

Array
    Status
    Auberry, CA
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Unless it was problematic to begin with, I would change the oils and reinstall. I would shift my focus to the clutch assembly.

Array
    Status
    Earth - California
    Vehicle

Engine

G54B
    Quote Originally Posted by d50dave View Post
    Unless it was problematic to begin with, I would change the oils and reinstall. I would shift my focus to the clutch assembly.
    Any tips regarding the clutch assembly?

Array
    Status
    sheffield, vt
    Vehicle

1978 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G63B
    you mentioned leaking....if oil got on the clutch disc it should be replaced...are there signs of slippage? or was there throw bearing noise (prior to removal, running with clutch depressed)....if so i'd replace the clutch, disc, throw & pilot bearing & resurface flywheel.

Array
    Status
    Earth - California
    Vehicle

Engine

G54B

Question Transmission

Quote Originally Posted by ragragtimetime View Post
    you mentioned leaking....if oil got on the clutch disc it should be replaced...are there signs of slippage? or was there throw bearing noise (prior to removal, running with clutch depressed)....if so i'd replace the clutch, disc, throw & pilot bearing & resurface flywheel.
    As far as I know, I didn't encounter such problems. Although, when I would shift into reverse I could hear gears grinding, no matter how I adjusted my feet to the clutch. The clutch cable may need adjusting?: http://www.mightyram50.net/vbulletin...hlight=reverse Also I don't know if all this gunk inside the transmission is because of a leak?:

Dirty.jpg

I am trying to remove the part(big red circle) circled in red, but it just wont come off. Do I have to thread a bolt to remove the part like how you remove the steering wheel? (small red circle)

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    All that gunk is mostly spent clutch disc material. A bit will be grease off the input shaft and the rest is moisture and whatever else has managed to find it's way into the bell housing over the last 3000 years. Unless you are seeing actual gearbox oil weeping somewhere, I'd be leaving the front seal alone. Your clutch cable could do with some adjustment but reverse in these transmissions is traditionally 'notchy'.

Array
    Status
    Earth - California
    Vehicle

Engine

G54B
    Quote Originally Posted by geezer101 View Post
    All that gunk is mostly spent clutch disc material. A bit will be grease off the input shaft and the rest is moisture and whatever else has managed to find it's way into the bell housing over the last 3000 years. Unless you are seeing actual gearbox oil weeping somewhere, I'd be leaving the front seal alone. Your clutch cable could do with some adjustment but reverse in these transmissions is traditionally 'notchy'.
    I just couldn't leave the twenty-nine year old gasket unchanged, so I ended up replacing it and cleaned up the front a bit. The small threaded hole is indeed there so that you can remove the part with ease. (Thank you Mitsubishi <3) Just simply get a bolt from the transmission and thread it in until you see the part slide out a bit, then carefully pull out the part the rest of the way out. It's basically the same thing as removing the drum brakes.
    Last edited by BJH324JH; 08-26-2017 at 01:38 AM.

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Quote Originally Posted by BJH324JH View Post
    I just couldn't leave the twenty-nine year old gasket unchanged, so I ended up replacing it and cleaned up the front a bit...
    Fair call, I made my own paper gaskets and cork sump seal when I pulled the gearbox out of my truck and gave it a massive clean. I did the output seal on the extension housing as well but had to substitute the type of seal due to availability.

Array
    Status
    Earth - California
    Vehicle

Engine

G54B

Angry Transmission

Quote Originally Posted by geezer101 View Post
    Fair call, I made my own paper gaskets and cork sump seal when I pulled the gearbox out of my truck and gave it a massive clean. I did the output seal on the extension housing as well but had to substitute the type of seal due to availability.
    I'm not satisfied with how clean I got the transmission, but It's good enough for now. (Time Constraint)

Before: Look at previous post.

After:
    Kinda Clean 1.jpg
    Kinda Clean 2.jpg