Array
    Status
    Orlando FL, Kannapolis NC
    Vehicle

1990 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B

Hard start

Well I replaced my fuel pump, filter, and strainer, since I was having a hard start and my pump had been whining for some time now,

It still hard starts, if at all. I was testing to see if the pump was getting power, and yes 12V when cranking, but 0V cycling key, this isn't normal right?

I was thinking fuel pressure regulator, my oil smells slightly of fuel, and smoke out of the exhaust, I can't tell if it's blue or black smoke, probably both considering the mileage, and the soot on the axle from the Flowmaster 40. The truck cranks with the pump disconnected, and if I plug it in before it dies it runs, at first it was misfiring, and low idle, after warming up it doesn't misfire, just smokes, and low idle.

Ideas?

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Hi and welcome to mightyram. What has changed since you replaced the pump and filters and where has the pump been installed? If the fuel pump is operating on crank then the carb should be primed with enough fuel for it to run for a short period before it gets starved. It should be getting full voltage while the 'on' circuit is live in the ignition. Where are you taking power from to run the pump? It is better to run the pump with a relay and separate fuse circuit straight off the battery and have it triggered from the ignition rather than using the ignition circuit to power it as it will create an additional load on it. I would also look at the ignition timing/tune and check that all the components like the coil etc are in good condition as a tired coil will struggle to generate a decent, consistent spark.

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

Engine

G63B
    This is a 1990, with a G63B that's been changed to be fuel injection(it did have a 4g64 fuel injected, I assume the engine died and they put a G63B, worked fine), I'm not the one that swapped it, and nothing has changed, just a remove and replace type deal

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    O.k. thanks for clearing that up. Saw the G63 and assumed it was carb'd.

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

Engine

G63B
    Yeah, the pump doesn't prime but works when the engine is running or cranking