Thread: 1981 L200 'ClubSport'

Array
    Status
    New Zealand
    Vehicle

1981 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

Other
    Part trimmed the sill, filled it full of holes, and burned it into the Ute.

A little tricky to line it up straight, not real sure where you would measure from expecially when the whole trucks been messed with...
    Anyway. It looked like the inner door frame had been squashed from standing on it, I copied the angle where the seat frame attaches as this seemed unsquashed. Reshaped it all to match and then set the lip height from the outer edge. This mush have been the right thing to do because the lower edge of the sill then matched with the inner sill lip.

I think I missed the photo, but I painted all inside first as well.
    Another day tickling the rear cab corner into something passable and I can start tidying it up for some paint IMG_20190903_145932.jpg

Might be the straightest panel on the truck now, so it may stand out haha

Array
    Status
    New Zealand
    Vehicle

1981 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

Other
    Ok, going to call that good on the metal work side of things
    IMG_20190905_150301.jpg
    IMG_20190905_150313.jpg

A little filler and it will be seamless.
    Speaking of, il need to seam seal some areas before I get around to painting.
    Still need to drill out the cab mount hole and tidy some of the welds underneath the floor.

Array
    Status
    Earth, the Solar System
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    That looks good Tortron

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Quote Originally Posted by 85Ram50 View Post
    That looks good Tortron
    For a backyarder, he does some tight work
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    New Zealand
    Vehicle

1981 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

Other
    Don't speak so soon haha
    Bottom of the door bows out by about 1 cm in the middle!...
    The sill I out in is dead straight.
    Oh well, il paint that too while I'm at it.....

Array
    Status
    New Zealand
    Vehicle

1981 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

Other
    Yup, so the door had been bent out to fit the will
    IMG_20190906_162645.jpg

I ended up totally reshaping the lower body line of the door. It was different between the b pillar, door, and guard.
    IMG_20190906_162705.jpg

Once I hung the door, I lined the rear edge up with the B pillar frame.
    With some tapping I got the lower edge parallel and inline with the sill.
    But now I couldn't open or close the door....
    Panel gap at the guard edge was all over the place. I ended up redoing the whole rear of the guard. An old Taiwanese reproduction. In some places out by 5mm + or -. And the rear mount had been welded on crooked.
    IMG_20200227_184532.jpg
    IMG_20200227_185151.jpg

It's pretty good now.
    Some fine finishing and I can prime it up and get this back on its wheels

Array
    Status
    Kailua, HI
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Hey tortron, is this truck the one thats' been rust fixed a lot and the one thats' Your Truck..? Didn't you have a V6 engine transplant project, what became of that..? Because of the Corona Virus, I won't be coming to visit anyone, anytime soon... Gotta make do with using this forum...

You're a neat guy, like geezer, you both contribute a heck of a lot for the rest of us guys here... Thank for sharing your "How To"

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Repro panels are 90% junk. You're usually better off buying a half decent panel and run with it. I remember when I was stripping a Cordia turbo I had a bunch of panels for sale and I got a call from a body shop. I had a drivers fender unmarked for $95 and the guy argued he could get a 'new' one for $45. I told him to buy it - and to have fun spending 4 hours getting it to line up and fit properly...
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    New Zealand
    Vehicle

1981 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

Other
    Yeah I considered getting a used guard. This was the guard that came on the truck, but is a repo, I assume fitted in the 2000s.
    It's just fiddly work that eats up time (I have hung and rehung the door and guard more times than I can count)
    Be nice if it was fixed decently in the first place....

Yes xboxrox this is the same truck that I have fixed the firewall, inner guards, roof etc on.... And is fitted with the Buick V6

Plan on swapping in a tickled up ecotec in soon though

Array
    Status
    Kailua, HI
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Quote Originally Posted by tortron View Post
    Yes xboxrox this is the same truck that I have fixed the firewall, inner guards, roof etc on.... And is fitted with the Buick V6

Plan on swapping in a tickled up ecotec in soon though
    Now I know there is an ecotec engine; Googled it and see it has advanced engineering & mass produced... Did NZ or OZ model vehicles get this engine too..? Where will you get one & how much $ what transmission comes with these engines & which one do you want? From what little I read the non turbo larger displacement engine might be better for your Ute..? I dunno..? Tortron, if for some reason you were forced to buy a new vehicle to replace your truck, what would you choose out of the road monsters being sold now..? I enjoy learning from you & geezer from the other side, thx... George

Off Topic but this was fun to read:
    https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/enth...on/ss-BB10tTWb

Array
    Status
    New Zealand
    Vehicle

1981 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

Other
    Ecotec V6 is the next gen of the Buick V6 (not the inline modern one)

Plenty of old Holden's around, I got the engine and box for $500. The gearbox is the 4l60e which is the next get of the 700r4
    This means it all pretty much bolts in to what I have now

Modern utes are too big to be any use for me. Can't park it in the city, barely fit in my gate or garage, deck is too high and too small for a sheet of ply etc. Terrible.
    I mostly ride my motorcycle around because it's so cheap, I would like a new Morris J type electric van, I hope they come to NZ

Array
    Status
    Kailua, HI
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Quote Originally Posted by tortron View Post
    Ecotec V6 is the next gen of the Buick V6 (not the inline modern one)

Plenty of old Holden's around, I got the engine and box for $500. The gearbox is the 4l60e which is the next get of the 700r4
    This means it all pretty much bolts in to what I have now

Modern utes are too big to be any use for me. Can't park it in the city, barely fit in my gate or garage, deck is too high and too small for a sheet of ply etc. Terrible.
    I mostly ride my motorcycle around because it's so cheap, I would like a new Morris J type electric van, I hope they come to NZ
    Cute the Morris J but pricey, could camp & sleep in it though, very cool... I read wikipedia that Holden will stop making vehicles in 2021 & they made a small truck in 1980 Holden Rodeo renamed in 2008 Colorado --- newer Colorado right hand drive trucks are made in Thailand... and, they are like the USA Chevy Colorado truck which receives bad reviews because of it's akward uncomfortable driver's seating position...

That Buick V6 with 4L60e should scoot your truck quickly enough For best performance, try to get the ECM computer with the latest updated version (identify it & price it at a OEM car dealer parts department) OR you are probably a tuner yourself..???

That truck is gonna keep you busy & happy

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Holden is dead. US GM will kill off the brand name this year and they've screwed all of the dealerships with any pre-ordered stock. The Colorado is actually a decent offering from Holden that has proven it can cut it (it's reliable, can haul a load and has good offroad capability). Look at anything else that is a Holden branded SUV/crossover/4x4 and it's Russian roulette. I think the major car manufacturers are missing the point of light utility/mini trucks. They filled a void in the market where guy average didn't want or need a big @ss flatbed truck to haul day to day stuff. Look at the size of these things now, they're freaking ridiculous...

Array
    Status
    Cant Say
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

Dodge V6
    look at the stuff in America. big ol 5 or 6, sometimes 7 liter V8's (GM had a near 4 and a half liter V6 once which is ridiculous even in my American eyes) most of the trucks are 4 doors 6.5 foot to 8 foot beds, big 7 or 8 liter diesels, 6 to 10 speed automatics, 4 wheel drive, sensors and cameras on every angle, parking and trailer assist, 30+ inch tires, leather interior, 1000 buttons and switches and gauges, the list goes on and on and on,

GM actually had a 7 and 3/4 liter V6 back in the 60's, it was 477 cubic inches.

Array
    Status
    New Zealand
    Vehicle

1981 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

Other
    We drove the big block caddy across the USA. Now that's a big engine for no power!

Xboxrox
    I have all the equipment to retune Holden/GM ECUs. The one in the truck now runs as is, but for the ecotec I need to bypass the security and adjust the shiftpoints to match my Speedo. They like a bit of timing thrown at them as well. Can't go as in-depth as a modern link ECU, but the entry price is pretty affordable

Array
    Status
    Kailua, HI
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Quote Originally Posted by Salteen View Post
    look at the stuff in America. big ol 5 or 6, sometimes 7 liter V8's (GM had a near 4 and a half liter V6 once which is ridiculous even in my American eyes) most of the trucks are 4 doors 6.5 foot to 8 foot beds, big 7 or 8 liter diesels, 6 to 10 speed automatics, 4 wheel drive, sensors and cameras on every angle, parking and trailer assist, 30+ inch tires, leather interior, 1000 buttons and switches and gauges, the list goes on and on and on,

GM actually had a 7 and 3/4 liter V6 back in the 60's, it was 477 cubic inches.
    and don't forget the often $15,000.00 OFF MSRP Sales Events advertised on TV --- makes me wonder the price, heck the discount could buy a small car..! No joke (I speak the truth) there was a F250 Ford 4x4 at Windward Ford in Kailua, Hawaii with a sticker price of $160,000.00 I almost lost my balance and fell when I saw the price (and I was prepared for seeing a big number, but not that big...)

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Quote Originally Posted by xboxrox View Post
    and don't forget the often $15,000.00 OFF MSRP Sales Events advertised on TV --- makes me wonder the price, heck the discount could buy a small car..! No joke (I speak the truth) there was a F250 Ford 4x4 at Windward Ford in Kailua, Hawaii with a sticker price of $160,000.00 I almost lost my balance and fell when I saw the price (and I was prepared for seeing a big number, but not that big...)
    It's a Ford F250. Not an imported European sports coupe. What could be in a crap Ford 4x4 that would remotely justify a tag that high...

Array
    Status
    Kailua, HI
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Quote Originally Posted by geezer101 View Post
    It's a Ford F250. Not an imported European sports coupe. What could be in a crap Ford 4x4 that would remotely justify a tag that high...
    Hawaii Dealer Markup (?)

Link to a F150 but none in stock over $100,000.00 now (click link and get sticker shock)
    https://www.windwardfordhawaii.com/s...&st=Price+desc
    Last edited by xboxrox; 03-04-2020 at 02:08 AM.

Array
    Status
    Cant Say
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

Dodge V6
    guess its because it was imported, because a friend of mind's dad just bought a Star White Ford F-450 crew cab 8' bed with the diesel and the 10 speed and the following options (asked and he literally sent me a picture of the build sheet he has):

Crew Cab
    8' Bed
    RW options: DRW
    Wheelbase: 176"
    Star White
    6.7L Power Stroke V8 Turbo Diesel Engine
    4X4
    TorqShift 10-speed Automatic Transmission with Selectable Drive Modes

4.30 Limited Slip Axle Ratio

FX4 Off-Road Package
    Heavy Service Front Suspension Package
    Ultimate Trailer Tow Camera System with Pro Trailer Backup Assist
    19.5-inch Forged Polished Aluminum Wheels with Bright Hub Cover and Center Ornament (DRW)
    5th-Wheel/Gooseneck Hitch Prep Package
    Adaptive Steering System
    Alternator – 397 Amp
    Bedliner – Tough Bed Spray-in
    BLIS (Blind Spot Information System) with Cross-traffic Alert and Trailer Tow
    BoxLink
    Engine Block Heater
    Exterior Backup Alarm
    Hitch Kit – 5th Wheel, 27.5K
    Hitch Kit – Dual Gooseneck
    Hood Deflector – Black Molded
    Individual Trailer TPMS/Customer-Placed Trailer Camera
    LED Box Lighting
    LED Roof Marker/Clearance Lamps
    Live-Drive Power Takeoff Provision (PTO)
    Power Moonroof
    Quad-Beam LED Headlamps/Taillamps and Fog Lamps
    Rear Window – Defrost with Privacy Glass
    Rear Window – Power-Sliding with Privacy Glass
    Remote Start System with Key
    Reverse Sensing System

Skid Plates – Transfer Case and Fuel Tank

Splash Guards/Mud Flaps - Front
    Splash Guards/Mud Flaps – Rear
    Tailgate Step with Tailgate Assist
    Tonneau Pickup Box Cover – Retractable
    Wheel Well Liner – Front (Only)

Windshield Wiper De-icer
    PowerScope® Telescoping Trailer Tow Mirrors
    Power-Deployable Running Boards

225/70Rx19.5G BSW Traction Tires
    Unique Limited Two-Tone Leather-trimmed Seats (Highland Tan)
    110-Volt/400-Watt AC Outlet

Adaptive Cruise Control and Collision Warning with Brake Support
    All-Weather Floor Mats

Easy Entry/Exit Memory Driver's Seat
    Electronic-Shift-On-the-Fly (ESOF)
    Floor Covering – Premium Vinyl
    Heated Rear Seats
    Integrated Trailer Brake Controller

Power Heated/Ventilated Driver/Passenger Seat with Driver Side Memory
    Rapid-Heat Supplemental Cab Heater (Diesel)
    Ultimate Trailer Tow Camera System with Pro Trailer Backup Assist

Universal Garage Door Opener
    Upfitter Switches
    Vehicle Safe by Console Vault
    B&O Sound System by Bang & Olufsen (10 Speakers including Subwoofer)
    SYNC 3
    Voice-Activated Navigation System

All of this for a whopping $99,650 (really expensive but cheaper than $160000k for an F-250)

Array
    Status
    Cant Say
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

Dodge V6
    sorry I used the text convertor on my camera and it done some weird things when it copied the text to my clipboard, lol

Array
    Status
    Kailua, HI
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Quote Originally Posted by Salteen View Post
    sorry I used the text convertor on my camera and it done some weird things when it copied the text to my clipboard, lol
    Windward Ford Dealer must be using a text convertor on their Window Stickers Buy from mainland & pay Matson $1,400.00 to ship it Hawaii...

Array
    Status
    New Zealand
    Vehicle

1981 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

Other
    Thought about putting the Ute through its inspection next week, but there was a tiny rust hole on the opposite side cab mount. Figured I'd just knock it out beforehand. Got a replacement sill and the jigs for the mounts and floor ready to go, so should be straight forward.
    IMG_20200319_151221.jpg
    Same story, the drain hole was blocked totally with bog, so the body mount is rusting out. Looks like the inner sill has been messed with as it doesn't sit nice either.

IMG_20200319_151216.jpg
    This looks worse in the photo than I believe it is. I have had a good look over the frame and this is the only pitted area, so I don't know what's going on. Some holes in the cab mount bracket itself but I think I can handle it. Plan on filling those pits and grinding flat, seems to work on hotrod frames, I don't think the frame will suffer in any way.

And... More of the same
    IMG_20200319_152658.jpg
    IMG_20200319_153106.jpg
    Crappy repairs, lots of bog, bottom of the sill badly pitted and just bogged over. Won't bother digging any deeper, just going to cut it off and replace it

Array
    Status
    New Zealand
    Vehicle

1981 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

Other
    Chop it up. Again with a replacement sill over the original, hammered in, bogged together.
    Figured the floor/body mount would be rusting out between kayers, more the same as the other side.
    Chop it all out
    IMG_20200320_131230.jpg
    IMG_20200320_131233.jpg
    IMG_20200320_131246.jpg

Array
    Status
    New Zealand
    Vehicle

1981 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

Other
    This sides rusty and il rebuild the whole lot. But, this gives me a good chance to get some good measurements and make some improved dies and forms. I just got a big press, so i think i might knock out a few repair sets for each side. Pretty sure they all rust out in these spots and the panels arent available anywhere.

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Is this still recognised as a genuine L200? Geez dude, there's hardly any original metal left in it! Anyone else would've driven this for years and not known there was something seriously wrong until it was beyond salvaging.

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast