Array
    Status
    Denver, CO
    Vehicle

1990 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64

No heat through vents, truck over heating, need help fast

Hey all, my daily driver has been overheating within 10 minutes of starting, and i normally drive an hour to work and an hour home everyday, and im not sure where to look, it started once i jumped the forklift at my job (stupid i know). I know my fan clutch is out so ill be replacing that tonight but what else should i look at?

Array
    Status
    Maurertown, Virginia
    Vehicle

1990 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64
    I suggest looking at the thermostat. Get it up to running temperature with the radiator cap off, and see if it's circulating. If not, it's the water pump or the thermostat.

I bet Geezer has two cents to add
    The greatest gift you have to give to the world is that of your own self~transformation.

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    LOL Roy . +1 with the Roysters' suggestions. Flush out the engine and heater core (even disconnect the heater hoses and flush it with a pressure cleaner separately from the heater recirculation pipe as the heater cores can accumulate a lot of junk from the block). And now my regular suggestion - replace the big ass clutch fan with an electric thermo fan. It will cool the engine when it needs it, take a load off the water pump bearings, de-govern the engine and free up some throttle response and open up access to the front of the engine bay. It can be done on the cheap and isn't a task beyond the average guy working on their own ride.

Array
    Status
    Denver, CO
    Vehicle

1990 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64
    Thank you guys for the suggestions, i will work on it today and post what i find! Geezer what is a good electric thermo fan to look into?

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Get the biggest fan you can physically fit to either face of the radiator (if you don't have A/C I would recommend front mounting it - it looks a lot tidier from inside the engine bay and really opens up some space to swing a wrench or 2). It won't matter what brand you use but try to get one with a really good CFM rating - more flow = more efficient, and a fan that can push and pull air to save you confusion. You'll need the fan, a hose joiner/coupler kit so you can fit the sender switch into the bottom radiator hose, the sender switch and a relay kit. Depending on the fan you can get away with spending as little as $50 with some hunting on ebay.