Thread: 1980 D-50 Sport 2.6 air cleaner assembly?

Array
    Status
    St. Paul, Minnesota
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B

1980 D-50 Sport 2.6 air cleaner assembly?

Hi, all. So, even though I know it won't fit my Weber carb without modification, I wanted to get an original air cleaner assembly. I found one, I thought, at a salvage yard in California on car-part.com. They had it listed as a 1980 Dodge D-50 Sport 2.6 engine. This is what they sent, for a total with shipping of $99! Ouch. This isn't the one I'm looking for, is it? I can not find a photo of this particular air cleaner assembly anywhere on the internet, not having a clue what it's for, and there's no underside connection to the exhaust manifold heat shield. The truck is 2.5 hours away at the moment so I can't even set it in there to see how it would fit, or even if it would fit. The "snorkel" end looks totally different than what I think/thought it should look like.

1980 Dodge D-50 Sport air cleaner.jpg

What would a 1980 D-50 Sport 2.6L air cleaner assembly look like? Thanks for the help!

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    They look exactly like all other models of Gen 1 D-50's. And that air cleaner box definitely doesnot belong on any of these trucks. Got a feeling it's from a Mazda B-2000. The only difference between the Sport, Royal, SPX base cab etc are the factory options like interior trim, paint and wheels.

Array
    Status
    St. Paul, Minnesota
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    Ugh, now I have to figure out how to return this dang thing if that's even possible. What a bad deal that was. Thanks for the great info, Geezer!
    I wasn't sure if the 2.0L engine had a different air cleaner assembly than the 2.6L engine did.

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    I would specify the 2.6 just to be sure. I'm not aware that there is a difference between the air cleaner boxes but you've already been burnt once. I really hope you get your cash back on this - it clearly isn't the air box from a D-50 and it hasn't been identified correctly by the vendor. I used an air cleaner box from a Nimbus (think you guys got them as a 'Summit') for my 2.0 4G63 and other than slightly bending the mounts and turning the bolt holes into slots, it sits as per factory. My box was ruined by the PO and sourcing them has been near impossible but the Nimbus air boxes are plentiful. It uses an oval shaped element as opposed to the round one - I'll be modding it later for my own Weber install.

Array
    Status
    St. Paul, Minnesota
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    Thanks for your time, sir. They had it listed as a 2.6 on their website and I confirmed it with the gentleman that I talked with when I ordered it. They have the top of it marked as a 2.6 D-50 (seen if you click on the photo), but it doesn't look anything like any of them that I've seen online. I haven't seen one in person, unfortunately mine has the ubiquitous rectangular air cleaner that Webers seem to always have. I'm assuming that it should look like this? https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...28A135A%29.JPG

I have a high idle that I can't seem to figure out, too. The set screw isn't even touching so I can't seem to set it any lower. It's at around 1,200 RPM at idle, certainly too fast, at least I think? It's revving pretty high at stops.

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    The image is correct (other than :A - it's too pretty lol and B - factory air cleaner boxes are in satin black *I have seen Mitsubishi factory air boxes in silver but not on an MM/D-50/L200) Your idle is waaay too high, should be about 850-900 rpm at operating temperature. Check your throttle cable adjustment but there is something definitely up with the throttle stop screw not reaching the throttle.

Array
    Status
    St. Paul, Minnesota
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    Thanks again for the great info. The salvage yard actually said that I could send that crazy air cleaner assembly back for a refund, minus the $35 that I paid in shipping. And, of course, whatever it costs to send it back to them I have to eat, too. Those clowns.

Array
    Status
    College Station, TX
    Vehicle

1984 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4D55-T
    I have one for a 1st generation 2.0 that you can have if you pay for shipping. Coming from Texas.

Array
    Status
    St. Paul, Minnesota
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    Howdy, shoot, I missed your message! Sorry about that. Would you have a ballpark estimate on shipping to St. Paul, MN 55126?
    Is it complete and in at least pretty good condition?