Thread: Found 1986 Montero in junkyard...should I grab some parts for my 86 Power Ram 50?

Array
    Status
    Red Feather Lakes, CO
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B

Found 1986 Montero in junkyard...should I grab some parts for my 86 Power Ram 50?

Are there particularly desirable parts on an 86 Montero that I should salvage and save for my 86 Power Ram pickup??? Both vehicles are 4x4 and both have a 2.6 motor. I'm tempted to pull the tranny off the Montero because I know I'm going to need to rebuild my Ram's tranny and clutch and seals this winter...but I think I read the trannies are not necessarily fully compatible between the Montero and Ram pickup???

Thanks in advance for any suggestions, tips, warnings...whatever!
    Bill in Colorado

Array
    Status
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Somewhat depends on condition of donor vehicle. If it has good locking hubs, check for the off road package w/ lsd, things like that might be worth it.

Array
    Status
    Gerber, CA
    Vehicle

1988 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G54B-T
    The 86 Montero will likely have 4.625 gears, rather than the 3.909. Good if you're going to run bigger tires. The transmission will be hydraulic, rather than cable. Could have manual, rather than auto hubs...bonus. Can scavenge the fuel tank and add to truck for additional capacity. Can use bucket seats to replace a bench. Many things cross over, some above are fabbed in.

Array
    Status
    Red Feather Lakes, CO
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Thanks guys, that helps me. The junkyard is 2 hours away from me, so it wouldn't be easy for me to fuss and figure out and this particular yard cycles through their yard pretty quickly so the Montero will likely be crushed in a few weeks or sooner depending upon how long it had already been there by the time I found it.